Menu
keithy007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Possible scam

Good morning,

At 08:45 this morning I had a phone call from 01457856870.
I waited approx twenty seconds saying hello when a automated female voice said ‘ Hello we are calling from your internet provider to let you know that your internet service will be switched off in four hours. To prevent this please press 1 on your phone immediately’ at this point thinking it could be a scam I cancelled the call.

I just to put this out as the caller did not say we are from virgin media or any internet service provider name.

keithy007

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible scam

@keithy007 wrote:

I just to put this out as the caller did not say we are from virgin media or any internet service provider name.

It is an all too familiar scam, various versions have been going around for years. It was definitely not from Virgin Media or any other provider. Some claim that your router is faulty, some say that your network or computer has a virus. Whatever, it is all lies.😮

The number you saw in caller display on your phone will have been spoofed (falsified) by the criminals, it is all too easy to do that unfortunately. There is no point blocking the number because if they ring again - and they almost certainly will! - it will appear to be from a completely different number.

I would say that any call that is just a recorded message is highly suspect.Some medical facilities use them for appointment reminders but that is about it.

If you had complied and pressed 1, the agent would then have sweet talked you into installing software on your computer to allow them to take control and install malware. Short story is that you would have lost a lot of money by the end of the call. 😉

Well done for not being taken in. Sadly too many people are.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

100% scam.

There’s also others to watch out for, these are the ones which I’ve been receiving recently - Amazon payment problem, £600 charge on your Visa/Mastercard, a warrant is out for your arrest for non payment of tax. All wanting me to ‘press 1’.

MrHalfAsleep
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not to mention "...your network has been compromised by many countries".😑

They're getting a bit better with the fake numbers, too.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos