Menu
zebcleb
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Possible scam phone calls

Has anybody else received phone calls from what seems to be an Indian call centre saying that they need to upgrade your broadband due to poor speed or security issues. The guy told me that he could verify he was from VM as he knew my name, address and postcode. Surely this must be some form of scam attempt.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible scam phone calls

Hi zebcleb,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

It definitely sounds like a scam call, did they ask for any personal information?

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
zebcleb
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Today was the second time to have been called, first time was regarding broadband speed. My Wife was asked if she used the internet for banking and shopping which rang alarm bells. Today I was told that there was a security patch that needed to be put on my router as malware and adware were getting through. I told him that I wasn't with VM anymore and he said that he was with VM and they carried out online maintenance for all the broadband providers. Gave him the tablet and hung up but could sound plausible to some people. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am really glad to hear both you and you wife are vigilant, unfortunately they do call vulnerable people, they people on BT and Sky also.

We are aware of these calls and they have been reported.

Kind regards

Paul. 

0 Kudos
lazyskier
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had what I suspect was one of these calls today - the guy claimed he was from Virginmedia and even gave me name, staff ID and Virgin office address in London of where he was calling from. Reverse number lookup suggested he was, in fact, in India (01334599904 was the number).

He told me there were 'files on the internet that were slowing my broadband down'. He asked me to log on to my computer and type 'validator' in the search bar to download a file. I didn't... 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi lzyskier,

Thanks for your post.

Thank you for this information and glad hear you were vigilant on this. We are aware of this and have reported this. I would advise if you haven't already registered with TPS you can do that here. This will stop unwanted sales and marketing calls.  Best of all It's a free service 🙂

Many thanks,

Zoie_P

0 Kudos
comnut
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well I had a strange one this morning.. (14 nov) My land line got a call from a 07970.... number, I think that is EE??

(the phone does not ring for numbers not in my phonebook) and no reply was left .. another salesman... {groan}

2 mins later, same number on my mobile!!! I sent a txt back , "why no message??"

the reply said it was virgin media... the number is now blocked by me on both devices..

please tell the right person about this.. it could panic older people..

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it was a scam call there is nothing that Virgin can do about it.  Scam calls happen all the time.

0 Kudos
comnut
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

just reporting it..

0 Kudos