Menu
Highlighted
ALF28
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Possible hacking

On two occasions jan and Feb 2020 the password failed on my virgin secondary email login,had to reset using security question. It is the email address used for community. There was nothing wrong but not sure why password failed for no apparatus reason. It ia a virginmedia.com email. Is there a way to ensure the 10 digit password is strong, I normally use upper and lower case letters and some numbers, what are the restrictions if any, I assume symbols not allowed. When the failures occurred I tried several times retyping user name and paswords to check my typing, same result failed.

Can 10 letters be used or is it best to include some numbers which I do, but an example of a very strong 10 digit  password would be useful, I presume best to avoid words in case of dictionary attack or names, birthdays etc.

I suppose at the time the virgin log in may have been down temorarily but it said wrong details entered but the password reset worked and let me in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Possible hacking

Hi there @ALF28

Thanks so much for your post - sorry that you had some issues with your password for your emails recently. 

Glad to hear that you did manager to go through the password reset though. 

In regard to setting a "Strong" password, we would always advise to not use any dictionary word and use a variation of numbers and letters.

For things like your MyVirginMedia password, the only restrictions are that it starts with a letter and contains at least 1 number. It must be between 6 - 10 characters long. 

For more information on setting a strong password, take a look at our dedicated help page here: Setting a Strong Password

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
ALF28
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If a hacker got into account he could change the security question and lock you out, there is no ecovery email system ? And if so should an alternative email be entered in the profile. As there is no verification system using sms text or reset codes like Gmail,  outlook for example. IT is very dangerous to loose contol of email. Although I have had passwords fail a few times including primary account, I have been lucky and always managed to get back in.

Secondary emails can of course be deleted by the account holder and new one s easily opened, an advantage there.

I personally always use web mail, having tried thuderbird the emails had wrong time stamps and folders did not always work well.

If a hacker knows your email can they use a client to try to hack password or would virgin still block multiple attempts by client.

Also if you use a client your data is on a clients server as well as virgin, possibly less secure so I never use clients like thuderbird,  bluemail etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you ever have an issue and are unable to reset your password for any reason or beleive you have been hacked, our Tech Support can go through security with you and reset your password for you @ALF28

Ensuring customer data is secure is of utmost importance to us and we continually invest in our security systems to keep our customers safe online.

In common with every other company, our login process requires customers to use unique passwords using a variety of characters. Additional technical controls and anti-fraud measures defend against unauthorised login attempts.

Our engineers regularly review our systems and carry out updates – and account security is always a top priority.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
ALF28
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

hope your engineers do review security, as I have in the past and recently had to reset my passswords on secondary accounts to log in but I am secure I hope at the moment.

however I provide my thoughts as feedback- If someone did get get your password via middleman software attack for instance, easy to do I understand these days, the they could hold your password without you knowing and view your personal  emails, a high securuty risk.

I have started to use vpn  as better security but think virgin should at least consider the following extra security.

last access date data, 2 step log in using sms text to mobile, email verification for password change, not just security question, backup security codes.

I know you say the virgin email is secure, but without 2 step verification one is never totally sure that no one else can get in if they hack your password and email address, that's all you need. I set my browsers not to remember passwords just in case. Also I only use web mail now as third party clients store your email possibly on insecure servers.I do regularly change my password just in case. Pleased to see you use robot checking though  which clicks in if I log many times in a short period, some re-assurance there.

so just wondered why virgin email has less protections than some free email services?

also most online accounts now display last login date and time, perhaps that would be a good idea for virgin accounts./email not sure if virgin do that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28,

We really appreciate your feedback and welcome any constructive comments our customers have to offer!

We'll pass your suggestions on to our internet security team for their consideration.

Thanks,

Rachael

Highlighted
ALF28
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

strange thing has occurred several times to me, I log in and see an email has moved from its allocated folder to a different folder,yet on previous log in that folder was empty, not sure why it happens or if there has been a glitch after moving the email but on some occasions it moves to the spam.

so, not sure if it me doing mistakes or some quirk of the system but is a regular occurance, (wondered if anyone else gets this?)

I can see no reason for it to happen so puzzled and even thought some one else has done it?

will continue to observe this and see if  continues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ALF28

Your concerns have been passed on to our internet security team.

Please do keep us updated.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos