Menu
georgie_b74
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Possible email hack... but not sure

Hello, a friend has received some weird emails which were quarantined by her server but it had my email address in the body of the message... I have changed my password and security question (as per advice that I found on this site) but I don't know why or how this has happened and what else I should do. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible email hack... but not sure

Your email address could possibly have been leaked at some point in a past data breach and incorporated as part of a spam/scam message.

Have you checked to see if your email address has been included in any past data leaks? You can do this via the 'Have I Been Pwned' website

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

0 Kudos
georgie_b74
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your reply. I will check that. Thanks again

0 Kudos
georgie_b74
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip - there have been 7 data breaches involving my email! Is there anything I can do?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@georgie_b74 wrote:

Thanks for the tip - there have been 7 data breaches involving my email! Is there anything I can do?

Just being aware, first of all, that it has been leaked is handy! The leaks increase the likelihood of you receiving spam/scam communications/messages so you should be more wary of any incoming comm's which look suspicious.

When you look through the list of 7 breaches, it should give you a short descritpion of what was leaked (i.e. email addresses, passwords, phone number etc.)

Depending on what information it shows, decide what action you need to take. It will also depend on how much you use that particular email address and for what purposes.

For example, if it is tied into your key accounts (shopping, banking, social media, your main email etc.) then it would be sensible to go through and change all of your passwords and security questions to ones that are unique and secure and complex for each of your sites/services.

If you have used the same combination of email/password across multiple sites, it is even more important that you change the passwords and make them secure/complex and unique for each site/service you use. If two factor authentication is available for a particular site/service, then set that up as well.

Those would be the basics IMO. Hopefully others on the forum will be able to add more if I have missed anything.

0 Kudos
georgie_b74
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much, again, for sharing your knowledge! I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to make the necessary checks/changes to my passwords.