Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Port 7547

Avast Free informs me that my Arris TG2492LG-85 router is vulnerable because of port 7547. Is this a false positive?  I did put this to the Avast forum and received a reply indicating two website links which in 2016 explained the cause but not how to resolve it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Port 7547

Does GRC's ShieldsUP! show the port 7547 as open, https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=7547?

Do you get a response from entering the following command in a terminal or command shell (where <IP_ADDRESS> is your public IP Address):

curl http://<IP_ADDRESS>:7547/

Redact the output before posting.

FYI: similar issue was recently raised here, Re: UPDATERe: TR-069 PROTOCOL

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello, thank you for your response. I'm afraid I do not have the experience of delving into technicalities of that depth but my son does so I will show him your response and let him take action. Much obliged to you. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I ran the GRC ShieldsUP myself, see screenshot, and my son sent a ping with Ping.EU. see screenshot. This was done late last night.  Earlier today I prepared the screenshots to publish here.  Prior to doing so I did another Avast Free WiFi Inspector scan and Avast reported 'No Vulnerable issues'. Although the three computers here are linked to the same router I carried out a scan on each one using the Avast Free software installed on each one and all reported clean. I am wondering if Avast may have slipped in a slight update and rectified its result if it happened to be a false positive. Regardless, thanks for your input.Port 7547 closed result with Ping.EU.pngPort 7547 result with GRC ShieldsUP.png

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's an update for this on ispreview.co.uk 

Nothing to worry about, move along please. Cable broadband ISP Virgin Media has “taken steps to ensure [port 7547] is no longer discoverable” online after they left it open on some routers. The good news is that this “posed no security risk” to customers, but it remains unclear why it occurred.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Statement free of caveat and detail are so not reassuring when considered with recent history of downplaying an issue (IMHO).

0 Kudos