cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin

RaxV12
Joining in

Hi,

i was wondering if i could set two different Pin’s one for watershed and one for purchasing movies. I sometimes have visitors over and i have no problem with them watching movies but they also purchased a few movies too without asking so im not too happy about that. I was wondering if i could set a separate pin/password for purchases.

Thanks  

8 REPLIES 8

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi RaxV12

Thanks for your post and great question 

Sadly we are only able to set 1 pin for rentals and watershed content

I can pass this onto our Team as feedback for you 

Good luck with your Guests next time they pop round

Gareth_L 

I had a similar issue with unexpected charges for an app that was charged for twice,

see my recent postings -

Solved: Re: Andreia Brazier - Virgin Media Community - 4963294 

The feedback did not result in any change, so the problem still exists, seems daft that a pin for the watershed is also used to purchase paid services, this can result in wrong entries, where the pin is entered as a matter of course to enable the watershed tv programmes, very confusing one pin with 2 different functions- time it was reviewed.

There should be a specific pin just for purchase controls.

If an extra pin for purchases is not viable, there could be an option in purchase control in settings to switch of purchases, which uses the existing pin to lock out any purchase options, to avoid accidental or unexpected purchases by youself or others, guests etc or children. Best to change the default pin 1,2,3,4 to a different number pin.

alf28

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for posting. 

I have had a read of your previous thread and can see my colleague has fed back your concerns. 

With the PIN, you are correct that it is a one for all situation but we do try to make the purpose of needing it as clear as possible. We also provide the option to change this from default, should it be required. 

When accessing a channel pre watershed or purchasing additional content, there will be a message to advise why the PIN is required. With purchased content, their will also be information provided about the cost of this. 

We appreciate your concerns regarding this and will continue to feedback.

Thank you 

Nat

Thanks for the explanations of pin number, watershed and purchasing.

I have changed my default V6 pin to my own pin number following the unexpected charges, I was not aware at all that I had approved the app charges but at the time on 1/03/2022 at  approx 16.00 to 16.30, my V6 had crashed so anything could have happened, and I was testing to see if the V6 was working and may have clicked on apps, resulting in charges, but at no time did see any charges displayed, and will wait to see if the refund of £7.98 appears on my next bill- I hope so (this may have been a "technical fault" when I spoke to the billing dept)

I will learn by this mistake, and avoid accidently clicking on paid apps in the future, my history will show that previously I have never used any paid apps.

I see there have been many other complaints about the app in question- Andreia Brazier and one like me had it charged twice like me.

see-

Search - Virgin Media Community

Solved: Andreia Brazier - Virgin Media Community - 4963294

Andreia Brazier - Virgin Media Community - 4410510

Charges on Tivo Apps - Virgin Media Community - 3406583

The previous posts define exactly what happened to myself, and perhaps virgin should investigate why these charges occured, and if the app is a genuine  virgin approved app and why it can take money without a pin being used?

I would like a list of free apps so I know which apps in the section all apps are actually free in my package and safe to use without being charged £3.99 eact time one is clicked.

During the crash/fault my v6 may have reverted to the setting in purchase controls  "pay without using a pin" until it updated to my settiings. so that may have been a technical fault.

I am now reluctant to use any virgin apps except the tv players such as iplayer, and have never had the issue when I use a sky now box which I also have connected and can use apps without any charges under a section called my apps which are free.

Virgin should remove the option in the tv box purchase controls to pay without using a pin, - this would reduce such mistakes happening.

alf28

Forgot to mention, I did not watch the app  Andreia Brazier-Get fit today, so was charged and yet I did not even watch the video app and charged twice in one day.

I Have never been interested in keep fit or keep fit videos, and the most I ever manage at my old age, is a short walk.

alf28

ALL APPS-charges

Under the section all apps on the V6, most apps are free but some have charges, such as get fit today (Andreia Brazier), body in balance. I was accidently charged twice for Andreia Brazier.

There is no listing to identify which apps will be charged- see

What streaming apps are on Virgin TV? Netflix, All 4, BBC iPlayer and more | Virgin Media

Can someone identify which apps are paid for and provide a list for each device- V6, TV 360, TiVo,

and indicate if the charges are related to the package you are on?

I note that the the CNN app is not available on The V6, why is that. (cnn tv channel now removed also)

Available on V6 and Virgin TV 360

• Al Jazeera
  • All 4
  • BBC iPlayer
  • BBC Sounds
  • France 24
  • ITV Hub
  • MTV Play
  • My5
  • Netflix
  • Prime Video
  • Radioline
  • STV Player
  • Vevo
  • Virgin Media Store
  • YouTube
  • YouTube Kids

Available on V6 only

• Body In Balance
  • Eros
  • Games
  • Get Fit Today
  • Pluto
  • Voot

Available on Virgin TV 360 only

• CNN
  • Deutsche Welle
  • Wall Street Journal

NO REPLIES- YET

I have found an interesting old post that dealt with this issue and showed some images-

see

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Charged-for-unused-app/td-p/4765239

I think the issue may be the cost displayed for the GET FIT TODAY app is in rather small text and easily overlooked, especially for people with some vision problem such as catteracts, for example and need to be a bigger warning notice that a charge is to be applied.

I notice in the games apps, this is more sensible with several sections-

kids games, brain trainers, free games and a-z

The free games are listed clearly, this is not clear in all apps, where free and paid apps are mixed so not cear what is free, perhaps there needs now to be a section free apps to differentiate from paid apps and many people are getting caught out, not realizing that some of the apps are paid, and I agree with other postings that the charge can be automatic so ensure you set up pin protection on the purchase controls to prevent accidental charges just by clicking, in my own case of unexpected app charges, the pin was not asked for but the charge was applied, but my setting was for the pin selction, not pay without a pin, this may be part of the problem also, needs reviewing, or are these apps to good a cash cow for virgin.

alf28

Hi ALF28, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We don't have a ready to go list for the free apps but I will try and find out this for you and report back here if and when I get one. 

In terms of the apps though, clicking on the app alone won't add the charges. Even if the PIN is removed, a warning still comes up to advise the app is chargeable and you need to click confirm on it. 

If I hear back from the teams on the list, I'll update you hear. 

Thanks,  

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs