Menu
azurian
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phone number cloning

After a failed scam attack, apparently from the Indian sub-continent, it now seems they are using my land-line number to attack others. 

Is there anything that can be done about this? 

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone number cloning

There have been increasing mentions on the forum of customers having their numbers cloned by scammers to be used as fake caller ID in scam calls. Presumably you have been receiving call backs from potential scam victims.

The usual pattern of the scammers is to change their spoofed caller IDs regularly. How long have they been cloning your number for would you say?

0 Kudos
azurian
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, exactly that. It started about 4 or 5 days ago. I've disconnected the land-line now as it was becoming a real nuisance. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is not a lot that can be done. The scammers are operating from call centres in India & are using internet software to gain access to the UKs antequated analogue phone network. The only way these can be stopped is at source by the Indian authorities, & usually as soon as one operation is shut down another starts up elsewhere.

As stated these clones only operate for a limited period, so the calls should subside.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@azurian wrote:

Yes, exactly that. It started about 4 or 5 days ago. I've disconnected the land-line now as it was becoming a real nuisance. 

Short term suggestion could be to put a message on your answering machine explaining what has happened (using announcement mode only if needed so as to avoid any unwanted messages being left). That should deal with any incoming return calls in the short term.

With any luck the scammers will change their fake caller ID before too long and the return calls should stop. If they do not then you might need to look at further measures.

azurian
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Great idea. I'll give that a try. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
azurian
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. The irony is that I never use the land-line and would like to remove it. The problem is that it would make my monthly payment more expensive! Bizarre. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi azurian,

You could always unplug the landline if you don't  use it. Just plug it in again and dial 150 if you ever need to contact VM.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos