Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phone call about boradband security

Received two calls this morning from Virgin about my router security - is this legit? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone call about boradband security

Hello

What number did they come from as from you have said sounds like a scam as VM don't normally phone for security problems, they tend to either email or a physical letter.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - it was a UK number but from a call centre in India.

I am usually pretty wary of calls like this but she was very pushy and insisted Virgin had received a security alert from my router. My WiFi has crashed a few times recently so it did make me wonder...! 

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@emmamarkham wrote:

Thank you - it was a UK number but from a call centre in India.

I am usually pretty wary of calls like this but she was very pushy and insisted Virgin had received a security alert from my router. My WiFi has crashed a few times recently so it did make me wonder...! 

Ask them for your VM account number.

If they don't know it end the call!

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

They just rang again - saying technical service. I hung up and then they rang back again twice and ignored!

Surely there is a better way for Virign to get in touch with me i.e. email as someone previously suggested.

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@emmamarkham wrote:

They just rang again - saying technical service. I hung up and then they rang back again twice and ignored!

Surely there is a better way for Virign to get in touch with me i.e. email as someone previously suggested.

There is a vanishingly-slim (near-to-zero) chance that this is actually VM contacting you.

Even running through security-type questions for an inbound call to yourself is risky as this post from yesterday highlights

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Scam-phone-calls/td-p/4503085

where the scammers may actually know some information about you from other sources.

VM may, very rarely, use a text message to notify you of faults in your area or send you a letter if they are notifying you of a security issue with your connection.

The scammers have created so much uncertainty as to whether or not an incoming call is genuine or not that the only reasonable default position is to assume these kinds of incoming calls are not genuine and go from there. If you do need to discuss something with VM then make an outbound call yourself to VM to discuss.

If you do have a technical issue with your connection use the VM forum or phone into VM for help. If you want to discuss or change your VM package then you need to phone in.