cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call about a hub upgrade - scam?

dcharrison
Joining in

I received a phone call today purportedly from Virgin, saying they could upgrade my hub for free as it was not running at optimal speed. From the outset I was unsure about this, especially as the person I was talking to was quite pushy and aggressive (apart from being almost impossible to understand).

As I have had issues recently I agreed to go ahead and he asked me to open a website in my browser. This was in what looked to be Polish - this set more alarm bells ringing - although there was also an English version which I switched to, but it had no mention of Virgin and didn't make a lot of sense to me.

I asked for verification that he was calling from or on behalf of Virgin, at which point he transferred me to his supervisor. This person asked me to run something using the command line on my laptop and read a number back to him which, he claimed, proved he was genuine!!! At this point I put the phone down...

This seems very dodgy to me and I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience. If this was a genuine call from Virgin they need to get a more professional outfit to run their hub upgrades.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dcharrison 

Unfortunately an all too common scam/phishing attempt that is doing the rounds currently.

If you scan through recent posts in this forum you will see many similar reports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dcharrison 

Unfortunately an all too common scam/phishing attempt that is doing the rounds currently.

If you scan through recent posts in this forum you will see many similar reports.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, dcharrison,

Sorry that you have been getting these calls, and thanks for alerting us. Here are some ways at safeguarding against nuisance calls https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls 

Cheers,

Corey C

Pusser
Tuning in
Thanks for this information.

Today I received an email from someone posing as Virgin Media telling me the 'migration to the upgraded service is complete' or words like and invited me to 'click here' to update my details.

The link is a dead page 'Error 404' the email came from - wbteam@virgmedia.com - no VM logos anywhere and clearly not virginmedia correctly written.

I have also received a number of phone calls similar to your, dch, very irritating especially when I keep on blocking each number!

Stay safe,

Pusser.

Thanks for coming back to us Pusser, and we're sorry to hear of the multiple scam phone calls.

We'd also advise forwarding a screen shot of the E-Mail to us.  All information you need on this subject can be found here

Kindest regards,

David_Bn