Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Phone Scam

Received a call on landline with a recorded message stating that my internet provider will disconnect me within 24hours due to illegal activities, please press 1 to talk to technical department. Obviously didn't.

Checked the number, 07484838805 which is in the Russian Federation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone Scam

Much as I am into conspiracy theories, this is not a Russian number. It’s an EE allocated mobile phone number.

https://www.ukphoneinfo.com/07484-numbers 

Not that it matters as the number is spoofed anyway. This is a VERY common phishing call that is doing the rounds at the moment. I’ve had it from a 0112 number (non existent in the UK). My parents also had 3 last week from 05351 & 06728 number (also non existent). As is usual with these just ignore, or better still just let them go to Voicemail. They usually hang up as soon as they hear a machine on the other end.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Scam

I've had three of these in the last couple of days. Seems pretty obvious that it's a scam. I hope that nobody would be caught out by it. I wonder what it leads to if you press button one?
0 Kudos