Menu
Kaff55
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phishing

Hi

just received a phone call from an Indian call centre purportedly on behalf of Virgin Media, telling me that they have detected some illegal activity on my broadband, there are multiple devices downloading illegal content.  Asked me if I have; laptop, PC, tablet or phone?

I hung up.

My question is, was this phishing or genuine as I cannot find a number quickly enough to be able to speak to an advisor?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phishing

It was a scam call. VM do not make outbound tech support calls to customers out of the blue.

Read through this forum and 'Home Phone' and you'll find dozens of similar posts.

They will certainly ring again. Just hang up on them without talking to them.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kaff55,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are receiving these sorts of calls. It's great that you've been able to recognise a scam when you hear one. Make sure you are reporting the calls to Action Fraud UK here so they can get as much information as possible to close the scammer down.

It's also worth registering for the Telephone Preference Service here. It is the UK’s only official ‘Do Not Call’ register for landlines and Mobile numbers and is free. That should help reduce the number of calls you receive.

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kaff55
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath have reported.

0 Kudos