Menu
juststeve
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phishing

I keep on getting phone calls, allegedly from virgin media, telling me that my router is showing errors and within three days my broadband will stop working, I believe these are phishing, I never give the call any information whatsoever! Am I correct in believing that these are phishing? Or am I wrong and the calls are coming from virgin media?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phishing

You are correct.  They are 100% scam calls.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

juststeve
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much.
0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey juststeve,

We would never contact you to advise that you're having issues with your router and as @Graham_A said these calls are scam calls. 

We have some guidance on how to deal with these types calls, you can find that here.

Regards

Steven_L

Hpepe159
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I fell for this today, they had my name and landline number and I gave control of my PC to them (I know STUPID). Fortunately after a period of time realised they were after me entering my bank details and pulled out the modem cable as soon as I could, but I think they have copied my document library. I am reporting this from another device.

I have run a full virus check offline which didn’t find any fault.

Is it possible that they have downloaded a Trojan app that hasn’t been detected?

Could they take control of my PC again, this time without my cooperation?

No passwords were stored on my PC but could they detect them from internet conversations?

Any advice gratefully received from one stupid old codger.

ff

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is a reasonable summary of suggestions at the links below from Citizens Advice and NCSC. Unfortunately, only you will be able to judge the likely level of risk based on how long they had access to your computer, what material you had on your device and what actions you think they might have carried out.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/what-to-do-if-youve-been-scammed/

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions#section_3

The sooner you act to close down any possible avenues for them to exploit (such as notifying your bank, changing your passwords etc. etc.), the greater the likelihood of reducing the potential damage they might be able to do. If you do not feel confident to decide if your computer is now compromised with any malware, then get advice from a reputable local computer company before putting the computer back into use.

Contact Action Fraud to report the incident, who may also be able to provide further guidance

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Tel. 0300 123 2040

0 Kudos
Hpepe159
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, will check out the various links you have supplied.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Taking the necessary remedial actions immediately will give you the best chance of minimising the potential damage.

0 Kudos
Shelna
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have just received exactly the same call, but thank goodness did not give them "run" access as they had requested.
0 Kudos