Menu
Stargazer4
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Phishing message from 'VM'

Yesterday my Tivo v6 box clammed up and I had to do a full power-down and restart to get things going again - took two goes to fix things and to reconnect to my VM wireless hub.

This morning I had a phonecall from 'virginmedia' to ask for payment details of my account and to restart my router as they had noticed that my service had been interrupted yesterday. The call was from 01636 ****** [somewhere in the midlands]..

I also had a text message on my vm mobile from the number 01584 ****** [number not recognised by Google] also asking for account payment details before they wanted me to switch off my router and restart.

Needless to say I ignored both messages but I just wanted to flag this up in case others had had a similar experience.

A few weeks ago I answered a call from someone in the midlands - a Birmingham number - that was trying to get details of my account - again they said that they were calling from VM and wanted me to restart my router.

Should I be concerned?

regards

R

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phishing message from 'VM'

Thanks for you post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you Stargazer4!

Sorry to hear of the concern the interactions caused. We always advised customer to not engage with callers if they're ever unsure about the callers identity. 

Ultimately, the less customers give out to scam artists...the less likely you are to get scammed, so it sounds like you did the right thing.

Can you please advise me if the set top box is back up and running? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Stargazer4
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello David_Bn,

sorry for not replying sooner but my V6 is working fine.

I have also had another phishing call from a Manchester number 0161 477****. When I googled that number it came back as not associated with any company.

regards

Robert

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update on the V6 and that everything is working fine, I will make sure David is informed.

With regards to these nuisance calls have you registered for Telephone preference services (TPS)?

Its a free service and you only have to register every 12 months. 

Please check the link here for further information.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, registering with TPS will do nothing at all to help the OP with the type of calls he has been receiving. TPS only deals with live unsolicited sales or marketing calls. The OP has been receiving fraudulent scam calls and texts.

A long list of calls the TPS does not deal with is listed here

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/pages/nuisance

Once registered with TPS, a domestic customer remains on the list permanently. It is only corporate customers who need to renew annually.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/pages/what_is_tps

The OP should consider investing in a call blocking/screening device to deal with the landline nuisance calls.

Some further advice for the OP can be found here

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions

0 Kudos