cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing call today - scammers knew how long I had been a customer - VM data leak?

nigelss
Dialled in

Got a call today from 0800 1836xxx to my mobile claiming to be Virgin Media with a great offer. Obviously not going to happen in a month of Sundays so I knew it was a scam. Needless to say, I did not provide any information. I asked the caller to tell me my address and account number and was told this was not possible without clearing security which I refused to do. I suggested they call my landline instead without giving it at which point they said they would and gave up. No call to the landline. What did surprise me was the caller knew how long I had been with Virgin Media and basic package information. Have Virgin Media had a data leak? From googling and from posts here I see that others have had their email accounts hacked and locked recently. I am not aware of my email having been hacked but just in case I have changed the passwords on my email account and VM account. Is this sufficient or will the scammers just be able to steal the updated information because VM have had a data leak and not fixed it? Is there any possibility that it was actually Virgin Media?

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

11 REPLIES 11

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

Hmmm this could be a real problem. See all the recent and multiple reports here.

It appears that it is a scam but one suspiciously well informed with both the VM customers' correct names and at times package type and duration of custom.

One to investigate please VM and to update the thread. 

Thanks OP. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

I found the site you link to straight after the call and posted a report there. The detail is similar to what I posted above. What we really need to know is are VM chasing up customers from an Indian call-centre? Seems unlikely to me although I am currently out-of-contract so maybe they are trying to lure me into another contract period. It could also be that they want to switch the Tivo box for a modern one. I do not want to do this even though it works like a slug on valium because it has a SCART connection. It could be they want to switch the Superhub 2AC for something more modern. They have tried to do so in the past. I always refuse because a Network engineer told me it is without doubt the most reliable hub they have issued. Seems likely based on my experience with it.

I am aware that VM have posted elsewhere that the number I gave is used for VM sales BUT numbers can be spoofed so I have no way of knowing that it really was VM. I think the only thing I can do proactively is to call VM tomorrow to see if there is anything about a call on the account notes.

Martyn
Up to speed

it seems a legit number and theres away to opt out

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Phone-call/td-p/5021895

Connection: Virgin FTTP Gig2 (XGSPON)

As I said at the end of my previous post, the number displayed is a VM sales number but numbers can be spoofed by scammers, i.e. the number displayed is not necessarily the actual number the call is coming from.

nigelss
Dialled in

Update: Call from alleged VM sales number around 6pm Wednesday evening (2 days ago). Answered straight away. No-one on the other end. Call cleared after a short period of me going "hello hello". Another call yesterday around midday; sounded like a far east call-centre. Told me how long with VM, package elements. I refused to "clear security" (first line of address, postcode) and  told caller to make a note on my account saying I had rejected the approach due to doubts about caller authenticity. Caller said this would be done. Phoned VM today. No note on account. Advised not to give details if I receive further calls. While talking to VM today, I was offered a discount on my existing package for a new 18 month deal. Currently out of contract.

nigelss
Dialled in

My last update on this topic - honest! During my call to VM yesterday I asked the agent to add a note to my account for that date which gave a word I can ask a suspect call-centre to quote back to me. They could only do this is they could see my VM account notes. About an hour after finishing my call with VM, I got yet another call from an overseas call-centre claiming to be VM wanting to offer me some great deals etc. I tried out my word challenge and the overseas call-centre agent told me what it was, so I can only assume it really was Virgin Media or an agent acting on their behalf because the agent could access an entry added to my account notes just an hour previously. He also told me when I had arranged to be called back by VM, all without me "clearing security". The agent still wanted to offer me some deals but I said there was little point as I had already spoken with VM. Hope this helps someone else.

Hi @nigelss 

Welcome back to the community forums

Sorry to hear that you are having nuisance and scam calls coming through. 

If in any doubt on the legitimacy of any calls. Hang up and call the main known customer service number for clarification if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Great work. Well done and thanks. Just a shame VM didn't respond. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Some questions that need answering by the forum staff:

1. Does Virgin Media do its own sales and marketing calls or does it use a third party to make those calls?

2. At my request, VM added a magic word to my account notes. I know what date that was done. If I get a cold call claiming to be from VM and the caller can tell me what the magic word is from my account notes, is it safe to assume it really is VM?

3. If VM finds out it has had a data leak, will VM contact customers to let them know?