Menu
TrooperUK22
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Phishing and SPAM emails

Just received an email (listed as new scam alert), see below

"Latest Phishing News 17/04/2019

We have been informed about phishing emails that contains the content copied below. They were NOT sent by Virgin Media and should not be responded to. Do NOT visit the link included in the mails or respond.

Important ebilling information

Your account and services are scheduled for disconnection on 18 April 2019.

You must update your billing information immediately in order to avoid any interruption to your services.
Due to this, to ensure that your service is not interrupted, we request you to confirm and update your billing information today.

Follow the link below to keep your details up to date.

If you'd like to get started, you'll find all the details at [Link Removed] ([Email Removed]) Manage it in Your Account

The Virgin Media team

P.S. We don't pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don't reply to this email address. If you'd like to get in touch, you'll find all the details at [Link Removed] instead."

I have again forwarded it to phishing@virginmedia.com

but, I also want to forward it to Action Fraud who might actually act on the information, at NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

But every time I try I get an error message stating the message is SPAM.

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=H7BRhyhYya26AH7BRhBWnA;sid=H7BRhyhYya26A;mta=smtp2.tb;d=20190418;t=153433[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.144;
)

How come your system can catch the SPAM when I attempt to forward it (legitimately), but cannot catch it before it comes through to my account in the first place?

and, why wont your system allow the reporting of phishing emails to Action Fraud?
Don't you want the police looking into these emails?

p.s. Since Virgin dumped google mail system, it's gone downhill rapidly. More SPAM than ever no matter how many filters and senders blocked and can't seem to delete or set up new alias email addresses. Just saying.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phishing and SPAM emails

@TrooperUK22 wrote:

but, I also want to forward it to Action Fraud who might actually act on the information, at NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk

But every time I try I get an error message stating the message is SPAM.

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=H7BRhyhYya26AH7BRhBWnA;sid=H7BRhyhYya26A;mta=smtp2.tb;d=20190418;t=153433[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.144;
)

NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk should be whitelisted for making such reports, see Re: Forwarding phishing emails. I have flagged this issue to the forum team (@ModTeam) as they are best placed to investigate further; be aware it can take them a few days to respond.

How come your system can catch the SPAM when I attempt to forward it (legitimately), but cannot catch it before it comes through to my account in the first place?

AFAICS this is due to the spam filters looking for header data in the message body which occurs when replying or forwarding such an email but not when receiving.

p.s. Since Virgin dumped google mail system, it's gone downhill rapidly. More SPAM than ever no matter how many filters and senders blocked and can't seem to delete or set up new alias email addresses. Just saying.

This is the really reason: Google Apps for ISP EOL

IMHO consider using an email service that is independent of any ISP, provides a level of security that exceeds that of online services it maybe used to secure, and features that are important to you, for example spam filtering.

0 Kudos