Menu
RonB
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Phishing Warning PayPal

Just to warn other just received an email purporting to be from PayPal saying my account had been limited with a login top PayPal button.  It is a scam. Might not have believed it but they used my Virgin Media email address and I do not use it with PayPal.  I appears to me that I am one of those people that date was stolen. I was not warned by Virgin Media, tut tut.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phishing Warning PayPal

It is likely going to be sometime before all those affected by Virgin Media's negligence are notified but in the meantime do keep in mind there are other sources from which your email address may have come; check against have i been pwned?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I got one earlier in the month and just ignored it 😃

paypal scam.jpg

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Paypal phishing-

I have had fake invoice reminders-typical one

Dear Client

You sent a payment of £47.99 to ebay.co.uk

Your transaction is being reviewed because our system has detected that
you are using a new unknown device. *We assume that your account wasn't
used by you *

*You can get back your money *: *Cancel it*
<http://ngo-gopak.com/red.html>

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your
account.

Merchant
ebay.co.uk Instructions to merchant
You haven't entered any instructions.
. Ship to

Shipping details

(uk address removed-not my address)

The seller hasn't provided any shipping details yet.

------------------------

had earlier copy with different sender From: "service@paypal.com" <info@insuredhq.com>

more recently I get emails -

Win

Win a Prepay card worh £1000!  

wrong spelling noticed, had at least 3 like this

--------------------------------------------------

I do not respond to these phishing emails,but-

Today received a official letter by "post from a debt collection agency letter on behalf of paypal for a small amount of money.

Had wrong name, my correct address but with post code error just by one letter, wrong side of road.

I contacted the debt collection agency and advised them they have the wrong person.

Suggested they check with paypal, the name is arabic and could not be found on 192.com or Facebook, very unusual name may be fake, or have they got the wrong house number. The debt collection agency say they will cancel this now but hope they do

I did have a paypal account but closed it recently with zero balance after transferring funds to my bank account not used for at least one year and the email was possibly hacked but the account was secure but had been recovered and had 2 step. I have checked  current emails including my virgin emails to ensure there is no fake account set up with my email so if correct, puzzled how they would use  my address to and to be used with a fake name????

Paypal accounts can be set up with fake documents and fake personal details with a credit card, but hope it is not identity theft using my home address.

I no longer use paypal so the debt letter today is very unusual.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PAYPAL UPDATE- scams-emails-and posted  letters- 

My demand received today  for a paypal debt payment from a uk debt recovery firm

It seems that email scams now supplemented by mail letters to my address, not sure where they get my data, may be data breaches.

I checked all my accounts and no payment is due. My paypal account was closed earlier this year.

I have done some web searching with very interesting results.

I have established that the UK  based debt recovery company may be fake and was identified as a dangerous scam over 12 months ago but still operating, there are conflicting addresses, phone numbers, addresses and even a web site that may be fake but it all looks genuine and I even rang them up so they will now have my phone number. Also many reports on the paypal community of this company aim  to recover debts for ebay and paypal even when paypal/ebay accounts do not exist, they try to panic people into paying the debt and it can run into many thousands of pounds.

They buy debts from companies and try to recover them on behalf of banks etc., but in my case was even a fake name used not my own name.

I will not mention the company as there may be a genuine company with the same name (with no web site) Took me many hours to track this down and caused some concern that they have my address, I did mention I could report this to the police  and they seemed to back off.

So watch out if you get a debt collection letter it may be a very good fake.

alf28

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you deal with PayPal and their like then you have to expect to reap what you sow.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A

Thanks for your comments which are correct and in hindsight I agree that be careful with some online services, I used  ebay for  selling items about 12 years ago hence used paypal for convenience but no longer involved now. I think ebay have plans to use a different service but using a credit card may be equally risky?, I have switched to amazon for my online purchases but always remove my payment card which they store after each purchase automatically.

paypal- the debt company classify the non payment as abscond-

Absconding Debtor

One who absconds from creditors to avoid payment of debts. A debtor who has intentionally concealed himself or herself from creditors, or withdrawn from the reach of their suits, with intent to frustrate their just demands. Such act was formerly an act of bankruptcy.

A person who moves out of the state may be an absconding debtor if it is that person's intention to avoid paying money that he or she owes.

It is difficult or impossible for a creditor to serve an absconding debtor with a summons in order to start a lawsuit and collect his or her money. Where a court is convinced that a debtor has absconded, it may permit the creditor to begin the lawsuit in some way other than Personal Service of a summons.

-----------------------------------------

The website link htpp://ngo-gopak  (.com)  in my first post should not have been pasted in as it is a Russian web site and needs editing to remove the link, I accidently clicked on it myself, so do not click on it, please remove/edit if possible. This may imply that the fake ebay phishing emails are from Russian hackers. I will check to ensure there are no fake ebay accounts linked to the debt at my address or my emails used. Ebay and paypal now both have 2 step protection but even that can be bypassed in some cases by professional hackers.

alf28

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PAYPAL DEBT NOTICE IN FAKE NAME via a uk debt recovery firm

I have established there is an ebay account holder who may be using my address but with another name used in the debt recovery letter I received

I found the fake user name is active on ebay.

I have emailed ebay to see if this is the case as I am an account holder although not certain the debt is ebay, could be anything.

It is not possible to contact paypal unless you are an account holder so to email them I would have to open an account, (same with ebay)

I found it   impossible to ring them up, contact very difficult with ebay or paypal just automated systems no direct contact.

Will await a response from ebay to my email address.

That is the problem with online services, communication can be difficult with 48 hour response times typically (I hope)

Not a direct virgin issue but online security concern connected with email etc, data breach, hacking etc, ebay. paypal etc

Wise to review services that are like this???,  alright till something goes wrong then they are a nightmare to resolve.

alf28

0 Kudos