cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password security is poor

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

I was trying to set a secure password for my account its almost impossible to do. Im talking about this page https://my.virginmedia.com/create-profile/register by the way.

If the password is less then 8 characters then i get a too short warning. This is fair and is good security practice. If I type anything over 10 characters this is too long.  If I put special characters in it would not accept the password either. 

I ended up by trial and error getting a valid password after about 15 minutes but the UI was terrible in helping me out with what was wrong.

I can see this requirement now I have set a account but this was nowhere when I was registering.
"8-10 characters long, letters and numbers only, no spaces. First character must be a letter."

Can anyone explain why in 2020 an 11 characters password is too long ?
You are limiting your customers passwords to be pretty insecure for what reason ?
Why does the first character have to be letter you making passwords even more insecure mandating this ?

19 REPLIES 19

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

No response to why your forcing your users to pick bad passwords ?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @jeffsmith82 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

We take security very seriously here at virgin media.  We understand the issues that you have raised and we will most defiantly pass the feedback on to the relevant team. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

Any idea when i will get a response back from that team ?

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

As they are a back of house team, its unlikely that they will respond regarding this. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

Where would be the correct place to ask about this then ? 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

My colleague will have passed this onto the appropriate team but we are unlikely to hear a response from them. 

You could also report this to the data protection team on DPO@virginmedia.co.uk to raise this with them as well.

Regards

Steven_L

Ianpb
On our wavelength

Five months later and the restriction on passwords still stands, and even longer when other such complaints were first made is taken into account!

Does the "appropriate team" actually do any work? This state of affairs is outrageous.

Thank you for getting back to us @Ianpb.

I can assure you, your feedback was passed onto the relevant teams to be looked into and to make necessary changes as soon as possible.

Please bear with our team in regards to this.

Many thanks,  

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Five Months on, and the password requirements have still not changed. Virgin Media is the largest ISP in the UK. Yet, customer security falls behind even this forum which, allows up to 20 characters, including special characters. Unlike this forum, my account holds personal information and is far more easily accessible.

Thanks,

Simon