cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset email received - can I ignore?

scarletp
Superfast

Today I received an unexpected email and hoping I can safely ignore it?  I am aware there was a spate of similar such emails in November.  I have definitely not been trying to reset anything lately so this was out of the blue.

Header included: Virgin Media - reset your password (KMM.........etc) and then said I had requested to reset my password for MY VM account along with a link to follow OR a link to contact you if it was not me. 

It was supposedly from The Virgin Media team and had MYVMRPW at the bottom RH corner.  All looked genuine but I did not act at all. Suspicious is my middle name.

Thank you

15 REPLIES 15

NigelASmith
Tuning in

Hi Reece.

What generates the email from your side in the first place?

Thanks.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi NigelASmith 👋

The password reset email is generated when you click the "Forgotten Password" section on our website. This can be done by anybody who knows your email - for example, other sites, or family + friends - similar to how Spam/Junk emails are received.

I have had this happen to me personally in the past, from using my email on sites that end up compromised, etc. It is nothing to be concerned about, as long as you maintain good security practices such as having a different password for different sites. 

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

NigelASmith
Tuning in

OK. Thanks Reece.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries at all, NigelASmith.

If you do need anything else, feel free to open a new post and one of our Team/Community will be more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

An attempt to get into an email could be a mistake by someone else, or someone trying to hack the email.

Provided your password still work the attempt probably failed, but it may be wise to update your VM password to a strong one and also reset the app password  and record the new passwords, but keep a record also of old passwords which is useful.

I have had similar incidents with facebook and linkedin accounts where hackers try to change the passwords or get locked out with too many attempts.

With the recent breach of data by the election watchdog this week, there may be more risk of hackers using collected data to hack accounts or phone scams etc.

As the VM email appeared to be genuine, then this may have been  an attempt to get into the email by an unknown person, but rather than click on any links in the  email, log into the VM website directly to check your "settings" are normal in the VM account and email account also and change the security question.

NigelASmith
Tuning in

Thanks as well ALF28