Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Old Virgin account compromised

I closed my virgin account over 5 years ago including my e.mai

Today i received and email from Virgin media using my old virgin email (resent to my new email address) indicating that a payment had failed and i need to update my information

I tried to contact Virgin Media but nobody wanted to take this issue seriously

How did anyone get my old virgin email address and send me the email on my new email?

At least Virgin should be aware of this scam and alerting all their call centers and websites to warn/advise accordingly

Leblon

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old Virgin account compromised

@Leblob wrote:

At least Virgin should be aware of this scam and alerting all their call centers and websites to warn/advise accordingly

Like the warning VM posted here perhaps:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Latest-Phishing-News-11-02-2020/td-p/4149536

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You have come to the right place, Leblob.  Are you sure the email came FROM your old email address or was it spoofed somehow?  Is your former "closed" email address showing as valid in mailtester.com?

As you know, the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (according to VM's own Terms and Conditions). But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!)

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the mailbox deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (Try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

interested to read about old virgin account compromised, that is concerning.I myself now get spam to my primary ntlworld email from both virginmedia and ntlworld address's. I usally check the verify my email services  to see if the sender email is a valid  email address. I have posted myself about spam email sourced from virginmedia which is happening the last few weeks even with, in some cases valid email address's or some spoofed but they are coming from ip address's which appear to be from virgin servers in the uk.  The most recent is a Tesco card scam from virginmediabusiness.co.uk  I received this morning from an invalid  virgin email, but they are not been detected as spam.

I think the old email address's are on distribution lists and are hacked so spammers using old  virgin address's for sending spam which is against the terms of use for virgin and data protection laws. Virgin need to tighten up on the abuse of  email address's that belong to virgin used for spamming

It would appear that some old address's can not be removed as I tried many time to close my primary account or replace it but it is not technically possible to remove on a live account primary email, but should be removable on a closed account or after 150days of inactivity. I am not sure if old address's are recycled to others once an account is closed which is a common practice with most companies, perhaps another person is using your old email now  needs checking by virgin.

0 Kudos