Menu
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 61 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam email

We know how concerning this is, and we’re sorry it’s happened.

This database didn’t include financial details or passwords, and we’re contacting affected customers in the next 24-48 hours.

Find out more here: www.virginmedia.com/data.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 62 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

@fifibluenose wrote:

Hi to all, Virgin say no passwords were breached but I have just received this from Boots the Chemist , I very rarely login online but do have an account passwords changed now.

Hello,

We are contacting you with important information regarding your boots.com account.

Our IT security processes have identified some fraudulent attempts to access some boots.com accounts. We have been made aware that your boots.com account may have been accessed by someone who obtained your username and password elsewhere.

We do not believe that these details were obtained from Boots. We believe this access was the result of someone using the username and password you provided on another non-Boots website, and applying those details to access your account on the boots.com website or mobile app. This becomes possible when customers use the same username and password across multiple websites.

In order to help protect you, we have locked your boots.com account. Please visit www.boots.com to reset your password now and follow these instructions:

Pop your Email address into

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It will mostly be able to tell you who the culprit who leaked your account and password was.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 63 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

The Boots issues is probably related to this :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51742079

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 64 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Data Breach -What information has actually been accessed.

Along with many others, I have been informed by email that my personal information has been accessed. But the information supplied is not detailed.  I have contacted Virgin using the 0800 number supplied but was unable to really get a clear understanding of what has been accessed. 

So I assume Name, Address and one of my email addresses.  Hopefully someone on this forum can help to clarify what other info has been released.  For example my Virgin account number and details of any other email addresses I have with Virgin.  Plus why the uncertainty on the DoB information. 

I have logged a complaint on this issue but hopefully someone on here may have some more info.  

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 65 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data-incident 19th April 2019

Hi there @Jay9

We know how concerning this is, and we’re sorry it’s happened. This database didn’t include financial details or passwords; rest assured, the database has been shut down and you don’t need to do anything.

We became aware of this incident last Friday and took swift action to take the database offline. We immediately launched an investigation to establish the facts and now we have that information we are writing to those affected to provide the relevant guidance and support. 

As soon as we knew the database wasn’t protected, we shut it down. Protecting people’s data is key to our business, which is why we have strict security processes and policies in place. In this case, we’ve fallen short of our usual standards and let people down. We’re now reviewing all of our data security systems to make sure this can’t happen again.

Based upon our investigation, the database was accessed at least once. Unfortunately, we don’t know how much of the database was accessed, or if any of the information has been used.

We’ve kept the Information Commissioner’s Office fully up-to-date about this incident.

At the moment, we don’t believe there’s any basis for compensation. Of course, individual customers can contact us if they have any specific concerns.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 66 of 165
Flag for a moderator

5 Mar data breach

If I've not received an email notification, does that mean that my account hasn't been affected?

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 67 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data-incident 19th April 2019

At the moment, we don’t believe there’s any basis for compensation. 

That'll please the affected customers: "We've lost your data through our own rank incompetence, but all you'll get from us is an insincere hand wringing apology crafted by our PR team". 

Luckily the ICO won't take such a flippant view, and is likely to dish out a generously proportioned and richly deserved fine.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 68 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media's data incident

Thanks for getting in touch with us over the community forums and I'm sorry that you joining our community couldn't have been under better circumstances 0161geezeer.

We totally understand why you're concerned. We're contacting affected customers. You'll find more info here: www.virginmedia.com/data

At the moment, we don't believe there's any basis for compensation. Of course, individual customers can contact us if they have any specific concerns.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 69 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media's data incident

Way to go VM, both those emails you leaked wasn't on any leaked DB tests such as haveibeenpwned.com
Weeee more spam, times for a new domain name me think.
My personal main domain and email address was kept clean for 3 years and leaked free

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 70 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data Breach -What information has actually been accessed.

@sambasong wrote:

Along with many others, I have been informed by email that my personal information has been accessed. But the information supplied is not detailed.  I have contacted Virgin using the 0800 number supplied but was unable to really get a clear understanding of what has been accessed. 

So I assume Name, Address and one of my email addresses.  Hopefully someone on this forum can help to clarify what other info has been released.  For example my Virgin account number and details of any other email addresses I have with Virgin.  Plus why the uncertainty on the DoB information. 

I have logged a complaint on this issue but hopefully someone on here may have some more info.  

Thanks...

Names,
Home and email addresses,
Phone numbers,
Some dates of birth.
Technical and product information, including any requests made using forms on our website.

A phishers/scammers dream, right here.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/05/virgin_media_subscriber_data_leak/

The storage box, we understand, not only contained Virgin Media broadband and fixed-line subscriber records – some 15 per cent of that total customer base – but also info on some cellular users. If a punter referred a friend to Virgin Media, that pal's details may be in the silo, too.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos