Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 51 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data breach and passwords

@deans6571 wrote:

What is an UTTER DISGRACE is that this breach happened almost ONE YEAR AGO and VM are only informing us about it now - THAT IS SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE.

😠

The message does state that no passwords were stored in the database so I guess thats a good thing + add the fact  that the info which WAS on the database (names, addresses, email address, etc) could be the same type of data available on the electoral roll (not email address obviously) which anybody could locate really.

Still - it's still a BREACH and VM should do something about this....

They didn't know about it a year ago. It was found by a security researcher last week.

And as you say, its not information that cant be found in the public domain. You can buy a list of a couple of thousand peoples details including all those leaked , card numbers and CVV for pocket money on certain websites.

Not defending VM at all. By any standards this is a major incident and shows there are issues with internal processes. The more we get caught up in discussions around whether their password policy is acceptable or what compensation is on offer, the less time we spend asking the really important questions.

• What went wrong ?
  • What is being done to fix it ?
  • What is being done to prevent a reoccurrence?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 52 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

This was a marketing database that was breached funny that i received an email saying my data was compromised when I have opt out of marketing years ago so should not have been on it. clearly more going on that they are letting on I would go as far to say it was one of the main databases they accessed.   We should be all let out of our contracts as you cannot be trusted with our data.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 53 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: so are VM going to compensate those affected by the GDPR data breach?

@jb66  said "Compensate? What monetary loss have you suffered? "

That person may have not personally had any loss?, but there have been plenty of posts for sometime now where Netflix subscription has been added on people's accounts.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 54 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

If the personal details include name, address, email, phone number and date of birth then VM should be offering at a minimum identity protection services for free. There's enough data there to get basic credit application filled.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 55 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Hi to all, Virgin say no passwords were breached but I have just received this from Boots the Chemist , I very rarely login online but do have an account passwords changed now.

Hello,

We are contacting you with important information regarding your boots.com account.

Our IT security processes have identified some fraudulent attempts to access some boots.com accounts. We have been made aware that your boots.com account may have been accessed by someone who obtained your username and password elsewhere.

We do not believe that these details were obtained from Boots. We believe this access was the result of someone using the username and password you provided on another non-Boots website, and applying those details to access your account on the boots.com website or mobile app. This becomes possible when customers use the same username and password across multiple websites.

In order to help protect you, we have locked your boots.com account. Please visit www.boots.com to reset your password now and follow these instructions:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 56 of 165
Flag for a moderator

So what are VM doing about it?

The amount of SPAM email hitting my inbox has escalated in the last few weeks, Even though I have ticked the boxes to say move all spam emails to the spam folder. 

Had my first ever SPAM text message this week, and constant phone calls at home, telling my broadband is about to be cut off and to press 1.

PLEASE PLEASE VM FIX YOUR SPAM FILTERS!!!!!!

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 57 of 165
Flag for a moderator

I suspected a data breach when my Netflix account kept being activated without my authorisation. I haven't had any confirmation email as yet. Wrote about it here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Unathorised-Netflix-Subscription-of-11-99-I-don-t-hav... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 58 of 165
Flag for a moderator

It had been obvious to me that a VM database had been breached, as my mobile telephone number is very old from the start-up days of Orange. I had moved my mobile/number to Virgin two years or so ago, but started getting calls offering me better terms than Virgin Mobile could. How would anyone know I was with Virgin from an old Orange number? Compensation? Perhaps yes, for all the unwanted calls and spams I get and the cost of equipment to try and stop them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 59 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,  We totally understand why you’re concerned.  We’re contacting affected customers. You’ll find more info here: www.virginmedia.com/data Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 60 of 165
Flag for a moderator

@fifibluenose wrote:

Hi to all, Virgin say no passwords were breached but I have just received this from Boots the Chemist , I very rarely login online but do have an account passwords changed now.

AFAICS there is the correlation between these events?

FYI: Boots took action after noticing credential stuffing activity. Virgin Media were required to take action after exposing customer data contained on an unsecured marketing database and have stated this did not include any passwords or financial details

用心棒_0-1583500134613.png

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos