Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 31 of 165
Flag for a moderator

data incident email

just reccived  a  email about your database   been hacked    . is this a genuine  email from   virginmedia   as the date in the email saying is has beening going on from 19th april 2019   seamd a long time for you to wait to inform us

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 32 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Breach of my personal data

Hello All, I have just now received an email purporting to have come from VM and it states my personal data has been breached and sometime in 2019. Is this a scam or what. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 33 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Scam email

Is this a legitimate VM email?

Hello,
We are very sorry to have to inform you that we recently became aware that some of your personal information, stored on one of our databases has been accessed without permission. Our investigation is ongoing but we currently understand that the database was accessible from at least 19 April 2019 and that the information has been recently accessed.

To reassure you, the database did NOT include any of your passwords or financial details, such as bank account number or credit card information.

The database was used to manage information about our existing and potential customers in relation to some of our marketing activities. This included: contact details (such as name, home and email address and phone numbers), technical and product information, including any requests you may have made to us using forms on our website. In a very small number of cases, it included date of birth. Please note that this is all of the types of information in the database, but not all of this information may have related to you.

We take our responsibility to protect your personal information seriously. We know what happened, why it happened and as soon as we became aware we immediately shut down access to the database and launched a full independent forensic investigation. We have also informed the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Given the nature of the information involved, there is a risk you might be targeted for phishing attempts, fraud or nuisance marketing communications. We understand that you will be concerned so we are writing to everybody affected to provide reassurance, guidance and support. We have put all of the latest information on our website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/data-incident, including some advice on how to stay safe online, such as:
Advice from the Information Commissioner's Office on how you can avoid or report nuisance marketing calls, emails and texts (https://ico.org.uk/)
How to be vigilant by not providing your personal information to anyone suspicious online, by phone, email or text. If you want more information, you can get it here https://www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/spam-and-scam-email/
How you can protect yourself from the risk of identity theft (which is when someone uses someone else’s personal information to obtain goods, services or money without permission) and other types of fraud. The Information Commissioner’s Office has information online here https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/identity-theft/
Although no financial, banking details or account passwords were accessed, it is always a good idea to make sure that your passwords are strong and not easy to guess. There is some advice here on how to set a strong password https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-create-a-strong-password.
If having read this email and visited our website you still have questions, you can contact us on 0800 052 2621, but please be aware our customer service advisors do not have any further information at this stage.
Once again, we sincerely apologise for what has happened.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 34 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Emails

@teabag 

"Good spot on the miss-spelling of their own CEO's name, hopefully all our info was just as shoddy 🤭"

Maybe the name was simplified to avoid a potential issue with the diaeresis above the u in the native spelling not resolving correctly in all email clients and browsers?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam email

Hi,

Whilst I can understand the desperation to contact individuals about the breach of their data after almost a year,the email coming out, not going to the registered primary email address, and without the recipients name or postcode confirmed, seems to go against what VM themselves say about always personalising emails.

It does appear to be a guenuine letter, as has support on the BBC buisness site, but it looks like a scam email as it lacks the personalisation that VM emails are supposed to carry

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 36 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

"Whilst I can understand the desperation to contact individuals about the breach of their data after almost a year,the email coming out, not going to the registered primary email address, and without the recipients name or postcode confirmed, seems to go against what VM themselves say about always personalising emails.

It does appear to be a guenuine letter, as has support on the BBC buisness site, but it looks like a scam email as it lacks the personalisation that VM emails are supposed to carry"

That does sound odd as the email I received was definitely personalised to me and was sent to the marketing email address that VM hold.  This isn't my primary address as that was not included in the data breach.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 165
Flag for a moderator

VM password - 8-10 characters only??? Are you kidding me?

I received the email tonight that my data had been accessed so not fully trusting that it's ONLY name, address, email and phone number (all that's bad enough!!), I went to change my VM password. I use Dashlane to generate highly secure passwords, 16 characters with numbers, letters (upper and lower) and symbols.

To my dismay, VM is only 8-10 characters and no symbols allowed. I'm not even sure you allow upper case letters! In your email tonight you state - 
"We take our responsibility to protect your personal information seriously" so why don't you take your password setup seriously? Or is the fact that you didn't even realise there was no security on that database for almost a year indicative of your true attitude to security?

This needs to be fixed! Your password policy is still in the IT dark ages!

Daz

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 38 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Any IT fraud awareness courses I've been on have highlighted one of the basic checks for scam emails to be the address that links resolve to. In this case 

We have put all of the latest information on our website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/data-incident

links to:

https://em.virginmedia.com/16/1762/4/996c91c2f14f5c5bfcd0426e9f4e2f80dab8d321/yemUzCH9LvPAzIKpKNXNBv...

All other links seem to be different. Hence my suspicion that the email is a scam.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 39 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's data incident

So I recieve the email tonight telling me all my personal details have been breached (no passwords though), Virgin have only just detected it and it goes back to April last year.

I have received endless scams, phishing emails, texts, all my family have for months and months as we are all (4 of us) with Virgin mobile, and all Virgin say is "sorry" in an email which I have had to Google to make sure it is not another scam! It has all become clear now as to why they have started to happen, so yes somebody most certainly has got my details!!!

Our countless and endless barrage of spam, scam & phishing texts and emails and phone calls will continue regardless of an apology.

So Virgin I would like to know where the contact details are of whom I can seek compensation from and find out exactly what details of mine have been stolen? Seen as you say there is no point in ringing customer service!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 40 of 165
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A said:-

"That does sound odd as the email I received was definitely personalised to me and was sent to the marketing email address that VM hold.  This isn't my primary address as that was not included in the data breach."

There was no personal details on mine either, just the "hello" as in post 33 on this thread.  Maybe because we're not classed as a VIP 😁

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos