Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 21 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Emails

@Servalan  Nope, that ones legit

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Virgin-Media-s-data-incident-Help-and-Advice/ba-p/4166258

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Personal Information Concern

I have received this email too.

It explains why my account has been targetted by spam for 18 months plus.  I've tried to get the spam fixed but their software is utter crap and doesn't even use any AI algorithms to identify patterns that are computer generated.  Its amateur hour when they ask the user to write the filters for these ever changing attacks.

I trust the incompetents responsible for this security breach are no longer employed by VM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 23 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Personal Information Concern

More info on BBC News: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51760510

A Virgin Media database containing the personal details of 900,000 people was left unsecured and accessible online for ten months, the company has admitted.
Joining in
Message 24 of 165
Flag for a moderator

I don’t believe it to be a scam, I got the same email a little while ago. Am unsure as to why it’s taken Virgin nearly a year to notify their customers about their personal information being accessed. Absolutely shameful!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 25 of 165
Flag for a moderator

I've also just got the email.

They say it was a marketing data base - but my account was set as no marketing way before that time, wonder why my details we're on it?.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 26 of 165
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

I've also just got the email.

They say it was a marketing data base - but my account was set as no marketing way before that time, wonder why my details we're on it?.

I think we removed ours to not sure when but most of been a year or 2 ago as they was phoning to get us to upgrade as we wasn't in a contract at the time

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: so are VM going to compensate those affected by the GDPR data breach?

While (allegedly) no passwords of financial data have been breached, enough data for someone or some group to commit identity fraud. Name, address, email address and phone number is a pretty big data breach!

I've received the email meaning my data has been available to outside people for almost a year!

No DIRECT monetary loss but a really BIG personal data leak!
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 28 of 165
Flag for a moderator

I just got this too and what makes me think it's a scam is that the CEO's name is spelt incorrectly and the email address it's from is different from the usual VM email. It was from email@em.virginmedia.com. Is that a genuine VM address?

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

I knew something was wrong and I don't think it's just name, address, email and phone number!!

A few months ago I received a spam phone call purporting to be authorised by VM but as the call went on it was SO obvious they had zero connection with VM. BUT.... they knew how long I'd been a customer with VM (my email is a blueyonder email, that's how long LOL).

The ONLY way they would know that information would be if they had access to that data!

So VM, be honest with us, is it ONLY name, address, email and phone? Or is it more, allowing someone to give enough info over the phone to make it look like they are legit VM or authorised VM partners?

Someone has said why want compensation, no monetary loss has occurred, but this is so much more than a financial loss issue, this is a BIG data breach and can't be just brushed aside or dealt with via an email. I received that email so my data has been out there for almost a year!

Seriously not happy or impressed!!!

Daz

Highlighted
Superstar
Message 30 of 165
Flag for a moderator

Good spot on the miss-spelling of their own CEO's name, hopefully all our info was just as shoddy 🤭

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.