Menu
Franko76
Tuning in
Message 141 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

I got the same Email today and I have not been VM customer for nearly Two years.

(I also keep getting Texts from VM telling me i am approaching my data limit then they give me a fictional 2gb.)

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 142 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

Hi Franko76,

We are sorry to hear that you have been receiving such emails, can you report it here 
Chris 

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 143 of 170
Flag for a moderator

This is genuine, unfortunately. It's been all over the IT news for around a week.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/06/virgin_more_leak_details/

I was only informed by email today: two of my colleagues were informed last week.

The galling thing is that they've screwed up badly, yet all of the action in the email is directed at us, the victims of their incompetence.

Also, once the ICO gets their act together and issues a fine we'll likley end up paying for it again through higher bills.

This may well be the final nail in the coffin for VM, for me.

Disgusted.

Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 144 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Read this to find out exactly what was disclosed:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/03/06/virgin_more_leak_details/

The leak was reported to VM by a third party: VM had no idea that the data was visible for anyone looking.
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 145 of 170
Flag for a moderator

"The leak was reported to VM by a third party: VM had no idea that the data was visible for anyone looking."

Also worth pointing out that no evidence has been produced to show that the data was accessed by any party other than the group that reported the vulnerability to VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

frankblack98
On our wavelength
Message 146 of 170
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A: Virgin don't know who has or has not accessed the data, because if their security was up to scratch they wouldn't have left this database accessible and unsecured for more than a year.

Its a crystal clear example of not following the GDPR law.
punkrock101
Superfast
Message 147 of 170
Flag for a moderator

exactly god knows how many people accessed it snooping around in the past year.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 148 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia said that "at least one person has access this database"

Is quite evasive sentence if you ask me. It's the "at least" bit. It's not "we know one person had access it. It's at least. 

Tells me they got no idea. 

Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 149 of 170
Flag for a moderator

"Also worth pointing out that no evidence has been produced to show that the data was accessed by any party other than the group that reported the vulnerability to VM."

I really wish I was able to share your optimism on this.

The fact VM can only state that 'at least one' person accessed the database probably means that they've got no easy way of finding out... normally a quick look at access logs would tell you immediately. So my conclusion is that either: there are no access logs for the misconfigured cloud container/database, or VM are understating the scale of the problem. Neither scenario is good.

invyism
On our wavelength
Message 150 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Why is your CEO's team sending out letters with the bog standard "move along, nothing to see here" response that VM is hiding behind over this issue?  We've already had that from your online people, is the CEO under his desk hoping it'll all go away?  Shoddy from the top down.  I sincerely hope the ICO takes a very dim view of VM's response to your mess of your own making.