Menu
Wiserommer
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

None stop scam calls!

Over the six months i have been getting scam calls virtually everyday of the week.

I know what they want to do and just put the phone down - is there any type of security i can have on my account to block these leeches?

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: None stop scam calls!

@Wiserommer wrote:

Over the six months i have been getting scam calls virtually everyday of the week.

I know what they want to do and just put the phone down - is there any type of security i can have on my account to block these leeches?

Unfortunately you need a third party device such as trueCall

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

or a phone with trueCall technology built in (such as some BT models, look for trueCall in the description)

IMO, the trueCall standalone device, used in conjunction with a ordinary cordless phone, is the best option.

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Wiserommer,

A warm welcome to our Community Forums. 

Sorry to hear you are receiving scam calls. 

We have some useful info here that you may find helpful- Dealing with Fraudulent Calls

I can appreciate how frustrating these can be! Thanks for remaining vigilant. 

It may also be worth signing up with the Telephone Preference Service, if you haven't already. Although this won't necessary stop scam calls, it can help reduce unwanted nuisance calls. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Wiserommer wrote:

is there any type of security i can have on my account to block these leeches?

I agree with goslow about the trueCall device.Certainly worth checking it out.

A more low tech strategy is to only pickup calls from numbers that you recognise or are stored as contacts on your phone and let the rest got to voicemail. Scammers  never leave messages but genuine callers will do.

That has the added advantage that because you never pick up scammers' calls, your number does not get flagged as a target for future calls. That may well lead to fewer scam calls in the future.

I also know several people who have given up on landlines altogether because the vast majority of calls they got were scam calls.  A few have a landline simply because providers tend to give better deals if you have a landline as part of the package but they simply have no phones plugged in. I am on the verge of moving to that model because I get very few genuine calls on my landline.

One other point I would make is that signing up to the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) will have absolutely no effect on reducing the number of scam calls.

Signing up to TPS simply means that you are telling "genuine" UK  telephone marketeers that you do not wish to be cold called. Scammers take no notice whatsoever of such niceties. Putting up a "Burglars keep out" sign in your front garden is not going to stop your house being broken into is it?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos