cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New kit scam?

R_44351
Tuning in

Hi I’ve received two texts from “VirginMedia” claiming I have a new kit on the way and is set to arrive September 2nd (tomorrow). BUT I have not ordered anything seeing as my current hub works perfectly fine. 

IMG_2021.jpeg

Not only that but I checked under “orders” on the VM app and there it was. September 2nd, Gig1. Yodel is supposedly handling the delivery and I’m stressing. Someone clear things up for me please.

Saw this user had the same issue but the solution wasn’t clear. 
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/New-kit-scam/m-p/5363263#M52144

IMG_1965.jpeg

  

IMG_1966.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That would appear to be your answer then. You are being speed-boosted from 500 Mbps to 1 Gbps under Volt and you need a Hub 4 or 5 in order to make use of the speed boost.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I can't say I am familiar with all of the VM/O2 package combo's and offers to know whether this might actually be a genuine package/offer but ...

Do your circumstances fit with the description in the message?

Are you a VM/O2 customer on Volt who might be speed-boosted to 1 Gbps?

Some of these text messages have been scams. Some have had accidental explanations (admin/typing errors). Some have had genuine reasons (customers getting a new hub for the telephone switchover).

What hub model are you using at the moment? For a 1Gbps service you would need a Hub 4 or Hub 5.

Well as far as I’m aware, my virgin mobile account switched over to 02 automatically and I have a Hub 3, should I be concerned?

Also, an update on the Yodel situation: I’ve been sent a tracking email from yodel along with a message saying it’s arriving today. This all seems very sudden and random. I also noticed this email claiming I’ve recently disconnected or replaced a super hub… which I haven’t.

IMG_2026.jpeg

cje85
Trouble shooter

Now as you're an O2 customer you're entitled to "VOLT" which includes a broadband speed boost but may require a new hub depending on the new speed. What speed are you on now? 

Ahhh I see! & my current package is the M500 fibre if that helps 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That would appear to be your answer then. You are being speed-boosted from 500 Mbps to 1 Gbps under Volt and you need a Hub 4 or 5 in order to make use of the speed boost.

Thank you so much for your time, help and the info. I feel a bit better now. 

Question though, when switching from the 3 to the 5, could I use the same cables that came with the 3?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@R_44351  You should be able to use all the existing cables except for the power lead which you will need to swap with the one provided with the Hub5.

If you have a lot of wireless devices linked to your current Hub you may find the transition easier if you change the SSID name and password for the new Hub5 to the one you used with the old hub.  This will mean that you don't have to reset each individual device.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hello R_44351

Sorry to hear of the confusion caused by the recent texts received, we understand this would have been strange and appreciate you reaching out via the forums for answers.

As the forum members have already advised, if you have added Virgin or O2 mobile to your package or services you would be entitled to Volt benefits which includes double data for your mobile plan and a speed boost for your broadband. If your current equipment isn't able to support the new broadband speed a free upgrade is automatically arranged 🙂

If you have any issues with the set up or equipment, let us know here and we'll be happy to help.

Rob