Menu
ianjayne
Rising star
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New Spam

Screenshot_2020-11-30 Virgin Media Mail Spam.png

Not seen this one before. Sent to Phishing@VM, marked as spam and blacklisted, they can't even use english.

0 Kudos
merseymick
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Spam

Thanks for the heads up!!!   (Haven't received this one yet myself, but wouldn't be surprised if I do, and may have been taken in....see below).

They are evil masterminds!.....it is, I think, not an accident that they are targeting the blueyonder email tag as they clearly know there are issues with it (eg. see 403 forbidden tagged posts) and that this may cause blueyonder a/c holders to lower their guard and click the link in desperation.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@merseymick wrote:

They are evil masterminds!.....it is, I think, not an accident that they are targeting the blueyonder email tag as they clearly know there are issues with it

I don't think so.  😉  I'm not sure they are masterminds either, just greedy and lazy too!

That same email is almost certainly being pumped out to lots of different email domains. If you look closely at the layout of the email it suggests to me that it is a template with a couple of fields auto filled based on the email address.

The greeting "Dear............." is obviously  completed  simply by inserting the recipient's full email address.

Then the bottom line "............................provider!" is completed by inserting the domain name (the part of the address that comes after the @ symbol) with the "@2020 All rights reserved" just there to try to add a bit of spurious credibility.

If they sent an email to the email address "someone@superspecialemail.com" it would have read:

"Dear someone@superspecial.com"

and ended with:

"superspecial.com    provider !"

If it was only being sent out to blueyonder email addresses the scammers would have added the VM logo and details to make it more credible.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for notifying us, ianjayne,

If you have already sent this to our phishing email, we will get ti reported. Also here is some additional advice for phishing, if you need.  https://virg.in/phishinghelp

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos