Menu
jo333
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

NTL email repeatedly hacked.

My partner ha an old NTL email account which has been hacked more times than I can remember.  This has lead to his ebay, amazon and other accounts also being  hacked.  The latest thing is his O2 account, leading to phones being ordered in his name and money taken out of his bank with a fake direct debit today.  His email was last hacked a fortnight ago, so it really isn't a coincidence.  He has asked if he could cancel the email account to prevent this, but was told that the only way to close the account is to leave virgin.  Is that correct, we really don't want to leave Virgin, we have been with you forever, but this amount of fraud is getting ridiculous.   Please help

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL email repeatedly hacked.

Oh dear, unhelpful advice from VM first line support over the phone so no wonder you and your partner  are worried. But I also fear that resolving this is going to be more complicated than you think.

I need to ask some questions before I go any further.  Is this "old" NTL account associated with a current VM broadband account. Check in My Virginmedia for whoever is now the account holder and then come back here with the answer and do it quickly if you want to resolve this quickly. I tell you why I ask. You use the world "old" which suggests to me that the address belongs to an account with VM that your partner once had but no longer has. Without establishing this we can't go further and you will remain worried.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jo333
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.  This is where things get a little strange (and perhaps a bit long winded, please bear with me).  Originally the virgin account was in my name, following my divorce.  This remained the case up until about 2 years ago.  However, even though my partner had nothing to do with the account whatsoever, his email, which he had before I even met him, became linked with the account, somehow (no idea how).  The virgin account is now in his name, and he pays the bill and despite this, Virgin faithfully email the bill to my gmail account every month, It really is very strange.  I have just tried to check on the email link on the virgin account and this tells me that the mailbox is not available, so can't see if his email is linked to this account.  But it seems to me that all the problems he is having, and they are many, stem from this NTL email account

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tangled web. No wonder first line support didn't get it. You/your partner need to look in My Virginmedia to tell me if the address is linked to a live VM broadband account. That is the key piece of information I need to go to the next step.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
jo333
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

just to add, I have just checked with him.  The email was originally from a virgin account he held himself, a very long time ago.  He has a separate log on to the Virgin Media online which is linked to his ntl email now, and he does show as the primary contract holder.  Really appreciate any help

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I really can't follow this at all. Are you saying that your partner has an NTL world address not linked to the account you and he are paying for but linked and visible in My Virginmedia to another account which he also has. I cannot envisage this scenario at all. It makes no sense whatsoever for so many reasons. I had an idea what was wrong here but I'm utterly confused. 

0 Kudos
jo333
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps by trying to explain the history I have confused matters, I apologise.  Originally, Virgin linked his email address to my Virgin account without either of us asking for this.   I don't know how or why that happened.  However, to deal with the present ,now, he is the Primary contact and pays the bill.  The NTL email is linked to his account, and gets hacked with alarming regularity.

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jo333, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with this email address.

Just to confirm, have you been able to reset the password at any stage? Doing that if possible along with running virus/malware-scans on your devices would definitely be recommended.

Failing that we can take a look from here to see what can be done - as Howard advised already the options we have can depend on the status of the accounts in question, but rest assured we'll do our best. 

In the interest of getting this sorted asap I'll send a PM to confirm a  few details & we hope to hear back from you soon.

Tom. 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am just going to give general advice so that you can manage the situation yourself. I still fail to follow what address is linked where. No matter. If the general advice doesn't solve the issue then come back and we'll see what the VM staff here can make of the situation. They can look at the account in question and what its status is on the system. 

The address is getting hacked regularly. That can only because by a password leakage from your system or because you are choosing passwords that are too similar to each other and can be guessed. You need to do a through malware scan of your system and attached devices to get round this and clean up. I often cite the free trial version of malwarebytes as the software to use to do this - download from malwarebytes.com ONLY. NOWHERE ELSE. Password choice, you know what the solution is to that. Random letters only. Use all 10 permitted.

Changing the password now. If the address appears in My Virginmedia then change it there and change it now. If it doesn't appear in My VM then log in to VM mail on the web and use the forgotten password link to change the password. But not before you have done a malware scan otherwise you will be throwing good money after bad.

The account is locked out so can't be accessed. You alluded to this, but I am including it anyway as belt and braces. VM will lock out accounts where they detect that the account credentials are compromised and being used to send spam. You can't see spam sending happening, but VM can.  Changing the password often sorts this. See above. If it doesn't sort it come back here and we'll see about getting the account looked at by VM staff here and unlocked if they can.

The bad news.  Not a likely prospect from what you have said.  If this NTL world address is not properly associated with a live VM broadband account  then its days are numbered. VM will only be able to delete it.

Edit. I now see that @Tom_F  from the VM team here has intervened. Perhaps you should now follow his advice and report back. He can look at the account for you and try and untangle what is happening.

jo333
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am in touch with Tom via a pm, so hopefully we can get it sorted, but thank you so much for all the help and advice, really appreciate you taking the time.