Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

NTL E Mail hacked, Security questions not working

Hi,

I cannot access my NTL email via Outlook or Virgin Media Mail inbox. The systems asks for a password, when I enter it, it fails. I have tried to reset via the "Forgotten Password" link, however the security questions and DoB are not recognised. 

We are current Virgin Media Broadband, TV, landline and mobile customers.

I have had my NTL e mail account hacked several times over the past year which I have managed to reset. Occasionally when I check my e mails in Outlook some have been marked as "read" and it wasn't by me. 2 weeks ago I lost access to e mails via my smart phone with a password problem which I didn't get time to sort out.

My E bay account has been hacked several times even though I have 2 step verification switched on, so it needs a text to my phone to be able to access the account, I may be wrong here but I believe the problem may have started when I starting using 2 step verification, just a thought.  My Amazon account was hacked last year but I got that sorted and it has not happened again. My Google and Wargaming accounts have also been hacked recently and reset them plus messages from Netflix which we do not have an account with. Most e mails, and I can't check this as I can't access the email I believe start with the correct honorific i.e. Dear Mr Li***** or Dear A*****e

I would like access to my NTL account so I can get email addresses and transfer to another provider as has been suggested on various forums, which I have been reading, I have run the virus malware checkers suggested and have AVG internet security. 

I realise that others may have other concerns at the moment but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: NTL E Mail hacked, Security questions not working

Good morning Alan.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am very sorry to hear of the email issues. Please see this link here for guidance going forward.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

John GS,

Thank you for getting back to me, I had already been through that page, I have tested for Malware, nothing was found and unfortunately I cannot access my account to be able to secure it.

Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi AJL4

Thanks for replying. Realising your accounts have been accessed without your permissions is never a great experience and I'm sorry you have to go through that experience. There's a few things you should be able to do first and foremost.

• Report all cyber crimes to Action Fraud
  • Report any and all companies that show an account opened in your name that you didn't open yourself.
  • Confirm if your mailbox is linked to your Virgin Media account or is it a standalone account. You can try logging into your VM account here 
  • Contact the companies that have been affected by the hack and follow their instructions on how to regain your accounts with them

Regarding your NTL email account, if you're needing it deleted, then we can delete it for you however we would require clearing data protection

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Corey C

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I did not report it to Action Fraud, I am afraid I did not know it existed. I will in future.

I did report events to companies like Netflix, Facebook E Bay and so on, but only received an automated reply, I can understand that is normal.

My mailbox and VM accounts are standalone

I have contacted each company and followed the instructions to regain access, except for Virgin Media mail, this is why I am asking for help on this forum. I have yet to phone 150 as I am sure they are busy and if I can get access to my account with the kind help from people here I would rather do that, or maybe a VM employee will pick it up and help. 

I will give it a day or 2 more to try to resolve it then I will phone 150.

Do I get from your last sentence that deleting my NTL email account is the only way forward?

Thanks again for your info.

Yours

Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is the email in question the same one you use for your online Virgin Media account to log in or is it a secondary email?

It's best to change the password to something completely different but deleting the email account will also help as a fresh start. This does depend on how you answer my above question however and should be done as a last resort as there is no way to get your emails back once it's deleted.

Please let me know whether the email is the one associated to your online account log in or not so we can try on our side to change the password or delete it if possible.

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Lisa,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. We have to log on separately to our Virgin media and our email account, they are separate.

To change the password would be appreciated so I can recover work and business e mail addresses. I have already opened a gmail account and was considering using the Gmail transfer system to move emails and contacts to my Gmail account but am worried that what ever has gone wrong will be transferred to the new account.

Thanks 

Alan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm going to send you a Private Message to grab some details from you. Please reply back to it so I can take a look at your email situation.

Thanks,

Lisa

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Forum team, my husband has exactly the same problem, cannot log in to NTL email account, he changed the password, twice, it was hacked again both times. Now the security questions don't work and we are desperate to retrieve it. Please help ASAP, thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

by the way, we tried your link but its not helping.

0 Kudos