Menu
ibloodyh8scamz
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My old man was duped by a Virgin Media scam call!! What now?

Hey guys,

We just received a very similar call from these scammers but unfortunately my dad answered the phone and the scammers got him to open the CMD and was asking him to type stuff for ages. So i'm unsure how much damage is done.

It wasnt until my dad asked me and everyone to turn off their devices I got suspicious, then asked who my dad was talking to. I asked to speak to them. Within 5 secs of speaking I realised its a scam call. The scammer started swearing then hung up after I asked to call him back. 

My question is, do you think running anti-virus scan software will revert any damage? Or is there any other measure. I don't actually know the extent of the damage because my dad is computer illiterate and was just doing as he was told. 

Please let us know, thank you. 

0 Kudos
ibloodyh8scamz
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: My old man was duped by a Virgin Media scam call!! What now?

Just to add to this, my dad told me:

He entered a few lines of text into the CMD prompt, and it was most likely a CLSID scam attempt.

He said he downloaded software , maybe Teamviewer? There was teamviewer involved at some point and the person got control of the PC (he thinks)

888DCA60-FCOA-xxxx-xxxD062 something like that.

Anyway, it seems like they got quite far ....

We've run a Malwarebytes scan and it removed 500 items. 

Should we just do a clean re installation of Windows 10?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yes I would do a full clean installation of Windows 10 do not keep software / data, even though malawarebytes is great software the scammers are quite good at hiding what ever they have installed on the computer, I understand it is quite a  chore as you will have to install all of the software again.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

also change any and all passwords on bank accounts  etc - its not as easy to get into accounts these days with 2 step verification but better safe than sorry 

Tony
0 Kudos