Menu
aaron1996
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My entire home network has been hacked, money is getting stolen.

Firstly: This company is a joke, why can't I speak to someone on the security team on the phone? Why would people who are worried about all their sensitive info being hacked into, want to talk about it in such a slow paced manner? Please let me know if there is a way to speak to someone who knows about security either via phone or live chat.

I got an email about a week ago saying my home security is at risk. It was to do with "Multicast DNS" and potentially being DDoS'd. I call virgin and get no particular reason and I am told to come here. I make a post about it and realise its potentially my DMZ being messed with when I was opening ports for my PS4. The ports opened were not the issue, it was my DMZ configuration, so I reversed that (I have now just completely rest my router to factory settings in case).

Today I open my mobile banking to see most of my money gone. As someone who is an unemployed graduate I had lost just over £1,000. All of the money had been funneled to some Amazon account (not mine, no transactions on my account). I called Halifax and they are refunding my money, but upon speaking to a friend who has a junior position in cyber security, I have learnt that I am still totally at risk. Is this the case?

What is at risk? My passwords? My cards will continue to be at risk even if I get a new one? Sensitive info? This is all very worrying for me and my family and I think that its terrible you can't speak to a human about your security issues to get it solved. I am not sure if people who work for virgin are the ones who help you on this site but can someone please please help me. How do I reach 100% security on my home network? And how do I check if its at risk.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: My entire home network has been hacked, money is getting stolen.

VM supply a connection they are not responsible for what you have on the network.
aaron1996
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How is this meant to help me? I need someone to help me with my issue. Pass along if you don't have anythign productive to say.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm letting you know that its not anything VM can help you with. You need to get a contractor or security consultant to do that
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely nothing to do with VM. Not sure what you are expecting from them?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I drove to a store and they wouldn't sell me what I wanted at half price.

Ford needs to help me get what I want as I drove there in a Ford car 

See how stupid that sounds

aaron1996
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will find some useful advice and links to the relevant agencies to contact on the security hub help pages:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security-hub

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

aaron1996
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for some actual help.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@aaron1996 wrote:

Today I open my mobile banking to see most of my money gone. As someone who is an unemployed graduate I had lost just over £1,000. All of the money had been funneled to some Amazon account (not mine, no transactions on my account). I called Halifax and they are refunding my money, but upon speaking to a friend who has a junior position in cyber security, I have learnt that I am still totally at risk. Is this the case?

Out of curiosity:

• did the Halifax state how the transfer occurred, i.e. via phone, website, app. …?
  • did your friend explain why you are “totally at risk”?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos