Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My IP was hacked, can I get a new one? And how?

I clicked a link that was disguised as a YouTube link, I tried to close it straight away when it opened on a different website first but it had redirected and loaded into YouTube super fast, they got my IP and used it to interrupt my connection. I’m worried about what else they can do with it. I have changed passwords on my email and social media etc etc and reset my virgin media router to trigger a new IP but I think I have a static IP from Virgin and I need to change it. How would I contact them to do it during this pandemic? Thanks in advance for any help, it’s much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: My IP was hacked, can I get a new one? And how?

Hello

All consumer connections are dynamic but due to the way the IP addresses are handed out as per the standard for network the chances are that you will always get the same IP address, which I afraid cannot be changed without either changing you hub or placing the modem in modem only mode with your own router. VM cannot change your IP address.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

IP addresses can not be hacked. The devices connected to a network can be hacked.

If you have been hacked it will be the devices connected to the IP address not the IP address itself

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I’m not very tech savvy when it comes to things like IP addresses. All I know is that I clicked a link, they ‘got my IP’ and used it to mess with my connection. I play online games and this person joined our team, sent fake links to get our IP’s and used it against us during gaming. And I’m worried what else they can do with the info they got. I just need help protecting my stuff from this guy tbh. 

0 Kudos