Menu
MasterMcIntosh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Missed call from Broadband Supplier

I just received a call today on my Virgin Media landline at 8:50am today, that when I picked up the phone it was an automated message that said, “You have missed a call from your Broadband provider” and that our service will be cut off between 24-48 hours due to activity…

I just had another phone call with no answer...

Could you tell me whats happening? Is there a way to see who called me? Or check if it is legitimately from Virgin Media?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missed call from Broadband Supplier

Hello

From what you have told me, this do so much sound like a scam as if it was virginmedia they would have left a message saying that it was from Virginmedia and not just your broadband supplier.

I have had a few of these.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Don't worry about it - it is a popular type of scam call that is doing the rounds at the moment.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MasterMcIntosh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice. 

They called again and I managed to record the automated message: “You have missed a call from your Broadband provider, we will disconnect your internet connection within 24-48 hours due to some illegal activity happening over your internet server, for further enquiries please speak to our executive. To get connected to our technical executive, please press 1.”

Looked up the transcript and found the following: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6712011/Want-foil-scammers-say-internet-cut-Dont-p...

So I have disconnected the landline to stop the nuisance calls, although it would be comforting to know that Virgin can respond and look into the number of these spam calls.

I have tried to use Virgin Media Live Chat but got no where!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MasterMcIntosh wrote:

Looked up the transcript and found the following: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6712011/Want-foil-scammers-say-internet-cut-Dont-p...

That link gives you some useful background but it is completely wrong when it  says that it is a new scam.  The basic idea has been used by scammers for many years with slight variations. There are many different versions in use at any one time and you are incredibly lucky if this is your first experience.

One common version claims to be from BT and when the victim says they get their broadband from Virgin Media the scammer says authoritatively that BT is responsible for all broadband services. (That's not true of course!)

The scammers don't limit themselves to pretending to be telecommunication companies either. There are many other scams which purport to come from lots of well known organsations. A popular one claims to be from HMRC  and says "there is a warrant out for your arrest for tax fraud". Many people have lost thousands of pounds to that one!

it would be comforting to know that Virgin can respond and look into the number of these spam calls.

Unfortunately, there is no comfort from scammers. Stopping these calls is incredibly difficult. The phone numbers used will inevitably have been faked and are changed regularly so providers like VM cannot block the calls by blocking the numbers. Also, they are usually run by organisations based outside the UK in countries where it is difficult if not impossible for UK authorities to take direct legal action against the scammers.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I find it best if unsure terminate call and then call or notify the people they say they are from.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos