Menu
Nodrog17
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Mdns vulnerability email

I received an email indicating that I had a Mdns vulnerability, I followed the instructions and checked my hub3 setting for any rules relating to port 5353 but there is nothing in the forwarding or triggering settings.

My son has recently connected his PS4 to the network so I suspect that this may be the culprit.

Can someone please advise how the PS4 needs to be set up to resolve this issue.

I did see some posts that advise adding port forwarding on the hub settings to a non used port but although I can access the required page I am not sure what to enter in the relevant boxes.

If this is the right approach could someone advise what to enter in the various fields.

lastly after I make changes how do I verify if the changes have resolved to issue.

Thanks, any replies would be gratefully appreciated.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mdns vulnerability email

@Nodrog17 wrote:

If this is the right approach could someone advise what to enter in the various fields.

lastly after I make changes how do I verify if the changes have resolved to issue.

See Re: mDNS and SSDP vulnerabilities a suggestion for devices in the DMZ

T confirm the issue is resolved either wait to see if you receive another vulnerability email or use nmap.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nodrog17
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply, I went ahead and changed the hub3 settings for port forwarding as shown below, can you please confirm if these are correct:

local IP address ???.???.0.253 local port range 5353-5353, external port range 5353-5353, protocol UDF

local IP address ???.???.0.253 local port range 1900-1900, external port range 1900-1900, protocol UDF

Regarding Nmap I assume I need to download some software to run this scan, excepting that I am a novice is it easy to use and am I going to be able to interpret the results it gives as I have no idea of what I should be looking for?

0 Kudos
Nodrog17
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well this did not work, I had to remove the rules as my iPad stopped working.

The rules I set up are obviously incorrect, can anyone please advise what needs to be entered to use port forwarding to resolve the Mdns vulnerability.

Thanks

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What issue did your iPad have?

mDNS is designed for use within a local network and as such there should be no reason for its exposure over the internet; the mDNS change made on the HUB only impacts incoming network traffic from the internet directed at port 5353, it has no impact on your local network.

0 Kudos
Nodrog17
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It could not find any web pages and a message said something about no connection with some details about forwarding, sorry I did not keep the message.

I could not connect back to the hub3 and had to use my iPhone presumably using mobile data to go back in and change the setting back. As soon as I did this it worked again.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nodrog17,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry you have had issues with the router and port forwarding, this isn't something we support however if you do have any further issues please come back and a member of our forums will be able to advise further.

Reggards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Nodrog17
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, thank you for your post, as you can see from my first post this all started after I had an email from VM advising that I had a Mdns vulnerability and being security conscious I have been trying my best to resolve this however I cannot find a simple answer in laymans terms of how to identify what is causing this and how to stop it.

It appears that port 5353 is something to do with what causes this problem so I am surprised that any relevant default settings are not already set up in the hub 3 as this must be affecting lots of other people in the same way.

It would be helpful if VM could provide some easy to use instructions along with the security related email they send out to:

1. Help identify what device is causing this

2. Advise on specifically what settings need to be changed within the hub3 to prevent it

3. What action to take to verify that any issues have been resolved once changes have been made

I am finding this really frustrating so any help would me much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Nodrog17
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Anyone able to offer some advice on resolving this problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nodrog17,

I am sorry for the delayed reply we are looking into this I can assure you we have not forgotten about you we will get back to you as soon as we can with a resolution

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos