Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Malware warning via email

HI,
Received the below but haven’t found anything already run Malwarebytes and Eset so would think i would be ok?

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear Mr *****

We’ve been alerted that one or more of the devices you use to go on the internet is infected with malicious software (malware).We don’t know which device, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including any credit card purchases, could be at risk.

This probably isn’t your fault, but we do need you to make some changes now to ensure your data remains safe and secure.We’ll help you do that.

How we found the problem

To protect our customers, we work with a number of not-for-profit organisations that gather information about internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections. On 30 October 2020, one detected that gumblar , a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

What to do next

We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/malware

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware warning via email

Anybody got any ideas, did extensive testing last night and can’t find anything wrong ??

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The forum team are best placed to help with this and your post has been flagged to them however be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi wandgrudd,

Welcome to the Community Forums 🙂

I'm sorry to see you received a malware warning letter from our partners at Internet Security. Sadly we don't have access to the information so we can't advise what exactly triggered the malware alert, however I will contact Internet Security for you and will send you over a PM once I hear back from them. They will be able to shed light on the situation.

I'll come back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Beth,

Thanks for that.

Wandgrudd.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey Wandgrudd,

No problem. I'm afraid I can't provide a rough estimate of when I'm likely to have some more answers, as it depends on when I hear back from Internet Security. However hopefully it should be within 7 days.

If you should need anything else in the meantime just give me a shout.

Beth

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi wandgrudd,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I have spoken with our Internet Security team in attempt to retrieve some further information regarding the malware alert, in which they advise that the detection was from a third party company called Team Cymru on 30th October. 

I've been able to contact Team Cymru and I am currently awaiting their response. As soon as I have some more details I will let you know.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Beth

0 Kudos