Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Malware letter

Hi we have received a letter saying one of our devices has malware on it, the malware is called matsnu.

I have a question does this malware only infect pc's? Or does it infect phones tablets etc, we only have one pc and I done a virus scan and came up with nothing, we have lots of phones and tablets and I'm in process of running antivirus scans on all of them.

Just wondered what is this matsnu and how do I get rid of it and is it only for Windows that it infects? Any help be nice...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware letter

Have you tried searching for 'Matsnu malware' on your chosen search engine?

Seems to have been around for years and on initial look affects windows operating systems.

Also previously raised here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Malware-Matsnu-letter/td-p/4006982

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi we just received another email, a month later then last letter about the matsnu malware that says is on one or more of our devices, I ran a malwarebytes scan on all our devices and our laptop but still hasn't found anything? Is it only on Windows that its on?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

We have virus scanned all devices and can't find any malware what do we do now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As previously advised, matsnu is Windows malware and with variations has been around since 2012.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/threat-search?query=Trojan:Win32/Matsnu.M!!Matsnu.gen!A

Windows Defender for Windows 10/Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 7 will detect and remove it.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Trojan:Win32/Mats...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for reply, I ran a full scan on Windows defender and ran a scan on f secure and it didn't find anything? We only have one pc so what do I do now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi we have received another email saying that we have malware on one or more of our devices,  the malware is the same as before being matsnu, as i said we only have only one computer that is windows and I ran a scan with 3 different antiviruses and nothing came up, said no malware found?

What do I do now, do I perform a full factory reset on laptop? We have an Xbox one could it be that that is infected? So matsnu can't be on an Android device? Any help be nice 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Who was the email from? There's chances are that it's fake. Is it asking you to purchase anything from them?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply it's definitely from virgin as when we had an email before we got a letter couple of days later from virgin media internet security Swansea, so we will probably receive another letter in a couple of days saying the same thing,

Email doesn't ask for any money or to purchase anything just says that we wrote u before to tell u that one or more devices is infected with malware since then we have received another alert on 10th July saying matsnu was detected on a device using your internet connection. And says to use an antivirus to get rid of it.

Well as stated we have only one laptop that has Windows on it and have used 3 different antivirus programs and it hasn't found any viruses, so don't know what to do? I suppose I will have to do a factory reset? Is that a good idea? What if I do that and we receive another email/letter saying matsnu is still on one of our devices what then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HI madmanx, thanks for contacting and sorry to hear about the experience which you are having with this. The infringement will be linked to the ip addresss and router MAC address. In order to remove malware a virus checker would need to be used which is able to detect malware. Does yours have this capability? 

The malware is from your ip address and may not be limited to a laptop. The malware could exist on mobile devices, tablets or a pc/laptop. Can you confirm if you have any other devices which you have not checked? 

Chris. 

0 Kudos