Menu
ilw182
Joining in
Message 41 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware letter, email accounts locked, mailbox unavailable,

Hi. Had the email locked message, so now trying to reset my password. I fill in DoB & mother's maiden name, click Continue and then it does nothing. Any suggestions pls?

0 Kudos
Kain_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 42 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Hi ilw182,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community!

Sorry to hear that you're facing issues with your mailbox.

From checking our service I can see that since posting you've been able to contact our team, has this been resolved as of yet?

Let us know,

Kain
0 Kudos
Dave_Canon
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 46
Flag for a moderator

It has happened again at a difficult time. During late March early April, I have to deal with a lot of emails relaying to finance etc. I was cut off again with this stupid Virgin excuse of trying to blame the customer. I did scan my computer again with Bullguard though it is always on duty and, of course it found nothing.

Yes, I changed my password and eventually got back in. but many hours work lost. 

When I get more time, I will have a serious look at an alternative service supplier and I am paying regular increases for a poor service.

Dave

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 44 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Dave_Canon

I am so sorry to hear that this happened and that it was during a difficult time, I understand that this must have been very frustrating and I am so sorry if our advise seems as though it put's fault on to you. 

We advise a virus scan and resetting the password to something completely new and unique as this is the best way to ensure the email account is not flagged again. 

If the virus scans have been completed and you have reset the password then this should be sorted for you, but if this does occur in the future please do pop back and let us know. 

Thank you and so sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
markusace
Tuning in
Message 45 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I am trying to follow the instructions but I cannot sign into my virgin media.  When I try it works as in I get past the sign in and I get those daft traffic lights, etc pics to identify . Then I get a full screen ‘oops something went wrong, a sad face and try again. Stuck as try again does the same. Interestingly an option on the right hand top menu is ‘sign out’ . o I am signed in then.

I then signed into the forum (forgot password) assuming this is different to my virgin media to post this. Using IPADpro (latest) all latest updates , using orangelive fibre router (600mbps) from my Spanish location.

Luckily outlook and office365 work ok.

BTW can I now use strong passwords on Virgin ie more than 10 characters and symbols?

0 Kudos
Morrile
Dialled in
Message 46 of 46
Flag for a moderator

Hello Markusace,

If you cannot login to your Virgin Media account you must phone for "technical support" as your account is locked (I endure this error) and phone numbers depends on which package you're on. 150 and 151 for those on the two biggest packages, yet don't know the other numbers yet can be found on the VM website somewhere.

You must change your VM account email password before anything. You must get VM staff to action the password change manually or you tell them what you want it to be, just to get into your account, and then change it again to be secure(ish). Use letters you don't normally use in every day conversations, as people tend to select a whole word rather than random gibberish.

Email password are still limited to 10 characters and numbers. However, according to a security password chart (too big to post) it could take a hacker 7 month's with a brute force dictionary attack, depending on your choice of letters and number. Also check if your email address/es have been pwand https://haveibeenpwned.com as if they have, a hacker knows the address and then tried to gain entry guessing the password, also, it would be very prudent to change your email address. 

Pro: Thankfully, VM will detect "suspicious activity" and locks the account. Then they send you an email claiming your PC is infected with a virus or malware. 

Con: Whilst your account could remain safe, it's bloody annoying to use end users.

I prefer long, to very long, passwords (some well over 64 mixed characters with an Authenticator requirements or Yubico key) with upper and lower characters, numbers, symbols, and ambiguous characters. I use a well known Password Manager and to hack that password would take over 7 Quadrillion years. 

Kind regards,

0 Kudos