Menu
J0
Tuning in
Message 21 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware letter, email accounts locked, mailbox unavailable,

So I have also had this problem on two separate accounts two weeks apart.

The major problem is being unable to access the manage my accounts as that page of the website has been down for 2 days now.

0 Kudos
AS
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Try changing your passwords via your 'My Virgin Media'

0 Kudos
flitefloor
Tuning in
Message 23 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I've had this email this afternoon but none of my email accounts are locked. I used to get regular texts from VM telling me that one of my email accounts was sending spam and had been locked but on checking my account there were no additional email accounts and yet VM think there are. I've changed all of my passwords before and I'm not going to keep doing that. I'd rather cancel my £1700 a year contract with them.

Time4Change
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 54
Flag for a moderator

On 2nd November, Virgin Media techs called to my new build property and installed the external cables and internal connections to enable me to resume my Broadband, Cable TV, and Telephone services following my move from my former home over 200 miles away.

I cancelled my services there effective 30th September 2021, and moved into temporary accommodation at an Airbnb approximately 2 miles away from my new property whilst waiting for it to be finished being built. During this time, I was able to continue accessing my emails from Virgin Media without interruption, UNTIL the 11th November, when I received an email from Virgin Media Internet-Security (Subject: Our reference: VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-F009444193) informing me that my email service had been locked due to suspicious activity.

After completing all the recommended measures stipulated in the Virgin Media email, including a full virus scan of all my equipment using Kaspersky A/V, (which I have been using for many years to protect my online activities), I have been obliged to change my primary and secondary email account passwords at least once DAILY (sometimes twice or more, as the 'fix' would only last a few hours before I became locked out again. (I have also changed my security question). Furthermore, when attempting to contact Virgin Media Help and Support by telephone, I have also been unable to successfully provide the random 3 characters from my master security password, which I have previously been successfully using for many years without a problem.

I have now had to endure this considerable inconvenience for over 2 weeks and the situation has now become intolerable. Would someone from Virgin Media please please please let me know how I can now permanently avoid constantly jumping through all these hoops just to be able to access my emails.

Steve

0 Kudos
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 54
Flag for a moderator

It is my understanding that another possible trigger/cause of this blocking is due to the use of certain attachments in your own "sent" messages.  I believe this has been mentioned above by others.  As such, the knee-jerk advice to change your passwords may not be appropriate.

Until VM can provide a pointer to the "suspicious action" I am inclined to think that they are trying to shift the blame for their false positives onto the customer.

I believe that they outsource their Email system and are probably not in a position to provide any such evidence (of suspicious activity).

Forcing people to change passwords for little reason is counter-productive because the more frequently they have to change it, the more they'll just change the "1" at the end to a "2", or think up something too easy to remember 😉

0 Kudos
Time4Change
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 54
Flag for a moderator

"Forcing people to change passwords for little reason is counter-productive because the more frequently they have to change it, the more they'll just change the "1" at the end to a "2", or think up something too easy to remember"

That is precisely what I have been obliged to do to stop me from going completely insane. 😉
Thanks for chipping in though.

Steve
0 Kudos
Wozza123
Joining in
Message 27 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I've also been having this problem since September and have had to reset my password 3-4 times since then. Very annoying. Every time I scan my PC  nothing is found! I have McAfee running constantly anyway.

I also just received the email from Virgin but, as someone else reported, it arrived in my Spam folder! How does that happen? 😅

I am now used to performing the 'fix' for it but this is a very annoying issue and it needs to be fixed otherwise people will leave Virgin for pastures new.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wozza123

Thanks for your post 

We can pass this on as feedback to the relevant Team 

We would send this out to the email that is registered on your account 

If you do have an alternative email address, next time you call

We can update this 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Area31
Joining in
Message 29 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I've also received two emails warning of malware from VM - none of my email accounts are locked.  It would be helpful if VM advised which email account was triggering the alert. 

It's also time that VM upgraded the password policy for email, the limitation of only 8-10 characters (letters & numbers) results in weak security.

0 Kudos
Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Area31 

We wouldn't be able to send the email affected due to security reasons. 

I would advised following the steps provided in the opening post. Let us know if you are still getting those emails after this and if the emails look genuine.

All the best for the New Year!

Carley - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos