Menu
dilysj1
Joining in
Message 11 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware letter, email accounts locked, mailbox unavailable,

JonN I completely agree. We have had 2 emails from Virgin and have had to change passwords on 2 email accounts - twice on one of them. No problems on scanning. I'm now waiting for the third account to be locked...

Virgin saying "this could have been caused by the spam and abuse update" in an above reply is just not good enough. We are being forced to change passwords due to a Virgin problem they're not sorting out.

Please, Virgin Media, are you addressing the problems on this "update" ?

AS
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 54
Flag for a moderator

My e-mail account is again locked. I waited as instructed but no access. Called 150 and they rebooted all my stuff before a lady with an Asian accent told me the problem was at Virgin's end and would be fixed within 48 hours. She did reduce my bill, however. I would prefer to have e-mail back.

0 Kudos
Ernie-Williams
Joining in
Message 13 of 54
Flag for a moderator

This email account locking is getting beyond a joke. I have now unfortunately discovered that if you send an 'eml' as an attachment, your email and attachment(s) does not reach your intended recipient and your account is immediately locked. Despite resetting password(s) as required the email account is still unusable and will no doubt require me to waste yet more valuable time trying to get through on the phone. Previous phone calls have unfortunately shown that the customer representatives had no idea that this problem actually existed, which shows a real lack of training and feedback to ensure the phone help desks are fully aware of all new and on-going problems that customers may be facing on a daily basis.

Ernie-Williams
Joining in
Message 14 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Yet another day of chasing to get 2 accounts unlocked which from overnight eventually was back up and running lunchtime Friday - like many other people by the sounds of it.

If my experience is anything to go by do not under any circumstances forward any previous email content either in the body of your own email or as attachments because guess what locked out straight away. Did the email actually get to its intended recipient is anyone's guess.

Rang up and was told could be unlocked with temporary password actioned by the helpline - despite being explicit about which account was locked the helpline decided, without my knowledge, to change the password of my other email account that had been working ok. So yet another phone call - my patience is being seriously tested for sure!

tpmchugh
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Received this email but none of my accounts have been locked. I have already reset my password in the last two weeks and my device is a chromebook and has no sign of any malware or any other kind of virus. Obviously, with a chromebook I cant scan with any of the windows style virus programs. So do I just ignore it as nothing has been locked

0 Kudos
tpmchugh
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Turns out it is my daughters account that is locked so we have changed her email password  and she is back in within minutes

0 Kudos
denisk
Joining in
Message 17 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Just got one of those emails saying my inbox is locked. It would be great to have some hints why that happened, rather than just suggesting to run antivirus scan and change passwords. If it happened once, without knowing what went wrong it will happen again. I understand that not everyone is an IT expert and may not understand technical details, however having the info (even in a small print) would help many to understand and take actions accordingly. Also, that would help to figure out if the lock was a false positive, as a result of legitimate user's action.

As for me, I couldn't find anything suspicious on my PC and the message left me paranoid if my password got stolen or not, and if that's the case, from where and how. 

0 Kudos
AS
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Further developments which may be helpful... I eventually managed to unlock my mailbox by changing my password as outlined in the first post on the thread. That was not straightforward. I had had quite a long conversation with a lady from Virgin who advise me that the problem was at Virgin's end (correct!) and just wait. Fortunately I put that advice to one side and persevered. Webmail came back immediately but Outlook misbehaved for a day, refusing to send messages. I have a credit of £2!  So if you are locked out do try and see if changing your password helps.

0 Kudos
cw1ntev
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I had their email warning recently. I keep very high standards on tech issues and feel there is little that I do not get to notice... What annoys me here is that there is no information at all about what exactly the problem(s) is/are. I think they should take the trouble to log details and make that available to us... Perhaps it is since there is what looks like a unique number in their reference warning line after "VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY - ...."

But then there seems to be no mention of how to use this info.

I did notice a delay of 6 hours on incoming mail a week or so ago, maybe that was when they refer to...

0 Kudos
g4wsz
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 54
Flag for a moderator

We found that my wife's email account was locked.  Being none the wiser, I phoned 150 and the "agent" reset her account and gave me a temporary password.  To my surprise her account came back to life and we were able to access her email without changing passwords: this I now understand but it confused me at the time!  (Email programs often hold on to mail server connections so don't need to use the password).

We then changed her password and updated her 'phone and all was well.  That was about a week ago.

Today I found one of these security notifications, IN MY SPAM FOLDER!!!  That's the folder on Virgin's IMAP server where Virgin puts suspected SPAM messages.  I find that quite amusing.

However, as others have said, the notification is of no use unless it gives a reason or sample of offensive mail activity so that I/we can take some action.  It would also be more useful if it were put into my Inbox instead of the Spam folder!