Menu
ModTeam
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Malware letter, email accounts locked, mailbox unavailable,

Hi all,

We're aware of an issue where customers emails account may be locked recently and this may be due to our spam and abuse system being updated. If you find yourself unable to log into your email account, please go to this page to perform a password reset using a completely new and unique password.

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

In addition to the password reset, please also perform a full virus scan on all devices where you have used your email address to prevent your email address and IP address from being picked up by our spam and abuse system.

If you have any issues after trying the password reset method, do post in our email board with what you have tried, the error message and a screenshot (omitting personal information) so we can assist further. 

Thanks

Community Moderators

Edit - We will also be notifying customers with active broadband services via email if their email has been locked due to suspicious activity and it will look like the below:

Sender : internet-security@virginmedia.com.

[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

Your Virgin Media Account number: 

Our reference: VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear Customer Name,

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

1. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software
  2. Reset your password to something new, unique to this account and secure.

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes.

Please ensure that the above points have been completed to prevent your mailbox from being locked again.

More help and support

For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

granthutchison
Joining in
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware letter, email accounts locked, mailbox unavailable,

So I got this message today, and a nice man on the phone helpline reset my password for me.

Norton and Malwarebytes had already failed to find any malware on my Windows devices, and Malwarebytes likewise gave my Android phone a clean bill of health. I uninstalled Norton from Windows and ran F-Secure on all devices, with likewise negative results.

Does this mean the problem is most likely with the spam and abuse update, despite the fact two weeks have now elapsed since the Moderator post?

If not, what can I do to stop it happening again, given that my best efforts to find malware have failed?

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Hi @granthutchison,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you have been impacted by this issue.

We're glad to hear that you have been able to have your password changed and that you've ran through a Malware scan on your devices. 

Are you still having issues accessing your mailbox at all?

If your Malware checks are not picking up any issues, this could have been caused by the spam and abuse update. Please let us know if you need any further help.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
granthutchison
Joining in
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

No, everything's fine here. Then again, everything was fine before I got locked out, too. I was just seeking reassurance that it's not going to happen again, given that there appears to be nothing for me to fix.

0 Kudos
AS
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Good evening

I received this e-mail from Virgin. I was doing my morning office stuff when - Bam!- I was locked out of an e-mail account. I got the message about checking for viruses and malware a day alter, which I have run scans and everything is and was okay.

Now changing passwords will be a pain as I use e-mail on 3 devices...........so is this necessary? Thanks for helping.

AS

0 Kudos
SteveB6
Joining in
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I have just received this message. I have tried changing password but still cannot access the mail account. Who should I contact?

I have just installed a 360 box - not sure if that has created the problem?

AS
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

How frustrating! I went and did some shopping and by the time I got back all was restored. You might find you have webmail access.

If that doesn't work it's the great joy of ringing 150....

AS

SteveB6
Joining in
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply. I managed to speak to support and by resetting the accounts all seems to be well.

0 Kudos
FionaG4
Joining in
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

We got this email last Friday.  Husband dealt with it by changing all passwords and scanning all the computers in the household.  We came to the conclusion that it was my account that had been flagged as the potential problem.  Once I changed my password I was able to get back into my email account which worked fine again until yesterday evening when I was suddenly unable to use my email account.  I got a message on my screen saying to try again later but it was only this morning when I was able to log back in.  I didn't change password this time.  Can you please explain what is happening and should I still be concerned about my email account.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JonN
Joining in
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

This really is a poor show from Virgin Media - they lock your account because of 'issues' and make it your problem. Then say, oh we've updated our spam system, so it might be our problem, but if you phone for support it's back to your problem. My email was out for a full weekend from Friday morning to Monday afternoon, but talking to VM support they say 'email is provided free of charge, so you've no right to support anyway'.
When you register a complaint, they close it because they've fixed the problem, but that wasn't what the complaint was about.
When you ask for some more technical details about why it was locked in the first place, noone can give you any, it was 'just' locked and it's your problem to fix it, even though you follow all the instructions several times, change passwords several times.
How about testing the roll out of a new system before deploying it to the whole environment?
How about some proper answers for the people who've been customers for years and rely on your email systems in their daily lives?
Someone will say 'there's loads of free email providers out there, use another one' but it's not quite as simple as that when a lot of your information is now locked in your account because of an issue that VM caused in the first place.
Very poor show.