cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malware infection

Shaf1980
Joining in

Hi all,

I received an email today saying that one of my devices may have a malware infection. I’ve scanned all the devices, which includes the phones, tablets, pc, laptop and firestick and have found no malware infection. 

I’ve turned on virus safe as well now but what else can I do? Can I get virgin media to tell me anymore info around what device it is as they said they may suspend my service if it’s not fixed?

Any virgin media staff on here that can help?

10 REPLIES 10

WD40
Joining in

I have received an email and a similar letter (twice in the last two weeks) about malware (Mirai) on one or more of my devices but no threat (yet) to cancel my subscription.

I have checked laptop and iphone for viruses with a well known security software - no threats.

I have changed all the CCTV cameras with new ones and a new DVR - the DVR is no longer connected to the internet. 

Web Safe is definitely turned on as is the well known security software which has done a full scan several times in the last week.

I think I have done everything necessary to eliminate the threat of Mirai malware - It is difficult to confirm if the malware threat has been removed unless Virgin advise which device is at risk and/or confirm which device has been contaminated.   

Yeah I know what you mean. I’ve carried out full and deep scans on everything so let’s see. I’ll be speaking to them tomorrow as well cos they need to provide some info around it not send me a generic email 

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Shaf1980, 

Hello  
Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you have received an email advising one of your devise may be infected by malware.

This is picked up when an email gets sent by webmail to your Virgin Media account.

We may lock the email account as a safety measure, But we would not suspend your service.

Do you have a copy of the email you can post on here please.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your message, I don’t have a virgin media email account as far as I know and never have used one. So I wouldn’t know what email has been sent to any possible virgin media email account. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Shaf1980 It doesn't matter that you don't have a VM email address.  The email that Gareth is referring to is the one you refer to in the original post. This would have been sent to the contact email address for your VM broadband account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CC3C9851-5053-4B71-AAB6-058B6A7BB282.jpeg

Thanks for clarifying I’ve added a screenshot of the email 

Hi Shaf1980, 

Thanks for your post on the forums, I am sorry the email you received about this malware has got you concerned with your services. 

The picture you posted was declined because it had some sensitive information on, but I've found it on my side behind the scenes and I can see the sentence that you're concerned with -

• "We need to let you know that if you don't get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our acceptable use policy". 

I can assure you as long as you have done a virus check on all your devices, have Websafe on as well as changed all your your passwords on the devices, we would not look to restrict or cancel your service. We just need to make you aware in the email that this is a last resort, but very, very rare. 

You can also check here for more ways to keep yourself safe online if you're looking for further help and advice.

I hope this information makes you feel a little more relaxed now, apologies for the understandable concern it caused though.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your response I have done everything you have mentioned in your reply and there is nothing else I can do but your response has reassured me. Thanks