Menu
Loobyyork18
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Malware in system updates

My avg scan has detected an issue with my virgin telly tablet. Message is 'system updates contains malware that could harm your device. It is installed in system partition and cannot be uninstalled.  Instead you must deactivate the app from system settings.'

There is no option to deactivate when I tap on resolve. What should I do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware in system updates

Hi Loobyyork18,

Providing the system update was sent by VM then you should contact AVG and report it as a false positive https://www.avg.com/en-us/false-positive-file-form 

Depending on any file manager apps and the app settings you have running on your telly tablet you should also be able delete the update file.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Loobyyork18
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. 

How do I check who sent it?

Thanks, Lynda 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Loobyyork18,

Thanks for coming back to us, it will say on the email who sent it .

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Loobyyork18
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

There is no email. I've looked in settings - system updates, but there is nothing to indicate when the last system update was. The security patch level is 5 Jan 2018. Do Virgin send out system updates for the tablet? 

Thanks Lynda 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lynda,

We don't send updates for the Telly Tablet this is done by the Tablet you can change it to manual updates in setting .

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
whonickedmyname
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

This is not a false positive.

The System Update file has been hijacked and is now infected by malware and we've noticed it attempting to install trojans too. 

I understand that it's been reported to your security team, but an update would be useful. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For further assistance with Telly Tablet faults you could contact Exertis, they are responsible for repairs and updates to the telly tablet.

Contact Number: 01282 858460

Email: virginsupport@exertis.co.uk

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
whonickedmyname
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Exertis have stated that it is Virgin Media software.  

They're not able to release an update as they do not own the Virgin Media ROM and  They're not able to provide a service to fix the tablet as they no longer have a repair facility for the Virgin Telly tablet. 

They're also not able to "fix" the system without Virgin requesting that it's looked into - and at this point, they have advised that they've not been consulted. 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For others who may have an interest see here for another thread on the same topic: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/VirginMedia-distributing-viruses/td-p/4681302

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos