Menu
jeebusj
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Malware Letter & Email

I'm at my wits end with this. I've received three letters and emails now warning that 'a device using your internet connection is infected with malware', and threatening to cut off my internet unless I've fixed it. So far I've:

- Bought a security package (Norton 360), and used it to scan every device (PC, phones, tablets, media server) that's connected to the internet, with no viruses detected.

- There's only one PC I use to access the internet, and I've made sure that it's got Norton's firewall on, plus browser protection. I've uninstalled the all the unknown/unwanted apps on the PC in case anything is conflicting. I've made sure the server has no direct internet access.

- Changed the router, in case that was affected with malware

- Changed passwords on all accounts, now using a password manager.

- Used online scanners to check for bad packets, but comes back clean.

- Called up virgin media to ask for any more details on this malware, but they said they can't provide any information.

I just got the third letter this morning. I'm really at a loss as to what I can do next, please help!

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malware Letter & Email

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who will hopefully be able to provide more detail to allow you to have confidence that the actions taken thus far are sufficient to resolve the issue; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @jeebusj,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post, we really appreciate it!

We're sorry to hear that you have received letters from our Internet Security team! From looking at your account, I can see that you have been in touch with our team about this issue previously.

I understand that you have taken a lot of steps to have this issue resolved already.

Can you tell me if you followed the instructions on the letter, as well as taken a look at our Internet Security website for more information?

Please keep us updated if you can.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jeebusj
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello, yes I've followed the instructions on the letter and website. The only thing I did differently was buy my own paid antivirus (norton 360) instead of vmedia's fsecure, simply because it got the best scores for malware removal.

Please let me know what I should do next. Is there anyone I speak to, to see exactly what malware notification is being flagged up on your end?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. Our apologies you're continuing to get these notifications after completing the advised changes. 

What I will do is private message you so we can take a look at the account and see if there is anything that can be done to assist. 

^Martin

0 Kudos