Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Malicious Traffic/Malware Letter

I have received a letter saying that:

"A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware"

It goes on to say that a third party has stated that malicious traffic has been detected coming from a device using my internet connection.

We are very concerned about this as our internal network is highly monitored and is comprised of mainly Linux based hardware. Having scanned all of the hardware on the network, none have had any infections found, and indeed after checking packet logs stemming back 4 weeks, we have found no outbound traffic that isnt normal on our network.

My son is a software developer that works on some very intensive projects and outside of this, 90% of the traffic within the network is Netflix/BBC Iplayer based.

Can we speak with someone about the reference number and hopefully get further information pertaining to the dates of the attacks, and or the port numbers that were attacked so that we can delve deeper into our logging as due to the projects my son working on being very high level, security is a MAJOR concern.

Thanks

Brenny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Malicious Traffic/Malware Letter

Does the letter name the malware?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, the reference only contains networkattacks no mention of a specific malware, what ports were used, the supposed target etc etc.

The network in our home is protected by multiple layers of security from the software based firewall in the router to a hardware firewall at the edge between the router and modem and additional network rules on each system. The work machines and personal machines are on their own subnets with phones and tablets on a 3rd separate subnet so no device within the network can communicate with eachother.

All computers have been scanned, tablets and phones too. No malware or viri detected, nor are any of our packet logs showing malicious traffic, thus why I am requesting dates and times, and if available further information like ports and ip addresses, as our traffic logging goes back 3 months due to the sensitivity of some of the projects my son works on, it would be very easy to detect if this information was provided.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Brenny1203

Just for my understanding.  Is this letter from Virgin Media or from a 3rd party?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is from Virgin Media

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FYI: Virgin Media Help — Network Attacks Alert, certainly would be useful to know what was detected and by who.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very much so. Without this information a user is left doing wild scanning, which for someone who isnt as tech savvy as some, will result in, a lack of results across the board. In this instance, we have absolutely no sign of malicious traffic, or indeed software/malware/viri on any of our devices yet you are stating that my service may be suspended or cancelled without providing any compelling evidence that any such attack has taken place.

I am happy to take drastic action on our network, but honestly, with a combined 50 years of experience within this household, one of which in network security, I am at a loss without more information.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would like to take a closer look Brenny1203.  To enable me to do so, I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Reply sent, thank you!
0 Kudos