Menu
Biffy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mail Account Used To Send Spam Text Message

Hi,

Two weeks ago and again today, I've received a text message saying my account has been locked due to sending spam.

We've been alerted your Virgin Media Mail account may have been used to send Spam. Your accounts been locked, to reset your password go to virginmedia.com/lock

After the first message I logged into my account just fine, it didn't appear to be locked, neither were some of the child accounts that I checked.

These warnings would be much easier to deal with if the message indicated which email address was associated with this apparent sending of spam.

Could someone actually tell me which address on my account it may be, as there are 1 or 2 that I may be able to delete now that they are infrequently used.

Thanks in advance.

* Vivid 150Mbps - Superhub 3 - Apple TimeCapsule WAP - TP-Link Gigabit Router *
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mail Account Used To Send Spam Text Message

H Biffy, thanks for getting in touch.  

I'm very sorry to hear that your email account has been compromised.

If we detect that an account has been compromised we will usually reset the your password for all of your email & My Virgin Media accounts to lock you out. We’ll then text you and advise you to go online and reset your passwords as necessary. 

I'm unsure why you were able to log in as normal on this occasion. Did you log in directly, or via a mail-client such as Outlook? 

Tom

0 Kudos
Biffy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

Thanks, I logged in directly and don't appear to be locked out of anything.

I also had one of those spam emails this week indicating there was a problem with my payment failing to go through, are there spam text messages too?

Are you able to tell me which address has supposedly been sending spam?

Thanks.

* Vivid 150Mbps - Superhub 3 - Apple TimeCapsule WAP - TP-Link Gigabit Router *
0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'll be happy to take a look and see if I can find any more specific information Biffy. I'll send a PM shortly to confirm some details & hope to hear back from you soon. 

Tom

James79
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this thread again. I am in the same boat. Received a test message from VM on 26 May, and again today (2 Jun) advising that my Virgin Media mail account may have been used to send spam, and that my account has been locked.

However, I can sign into my VM account using my current password. I just brushed it off as spam itself.

Strange that this all has happened following the security breach a few months back.

Was there ever a resolution to the original post?

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi James79, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear you've encountered this problem. I'll do all I can to help via PM. Just look out for the purple envelope and please get back to me with the requested info when you can. 

Tom

0 Kudos
Rt656
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ive just had the self same text tk my VM mobile saying

We've been alerted your Virgin Media Mail account may have been used to send Spam. Your accounts been locked, to reset your password go to virginmedia.com/lock

This has come through twice now and both times I've ignored it as some sort of spam 

I did however check my accounts, but not by logging in via the link supplied in the text and every thing seems ok

Crystal602
Settling in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I’m having the same issue, three texts received but account appears fine. Is this spam itself? Has this been resolved?

cheers 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear you've encountered a similar problem - the messages are genuine not spam so I'm unsure why you're getting them if the account hasn't been locked. Just to be sure - have you been able to follow the steps as advised via: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-account-is-locked?

Tom 

0 Kudos
Crystal602
Settling in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tom. Managed to speak to someone at Virgin who advised me it’s my daughters’ account, she’s sorting it out haha

0 Kudos