Menu
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Login to hub says not secure??

OK, as per title.

Looking to add a guest wifi  network for brother-in-law who is with us for the weekend. 

Go into the hub, (192.168.0.1, hub homepage) and it states '!not secure' ??

This was using Chrome' so tried in 'Edge' as well but get the same??

Don't remember this happening before, should this be secure?? Not too sure about adding new network if details of passwords, SSID etc are not secure, or am I missing something?? 

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Login to hub says not secure??

It's not possible to have the 192.168.x.x IP range assigned a TLS security certificate:
https://www.ssl.com/faqs/order-ssl-tls-certificate-for-ip-address/

The IP address ranges 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x are prohibited.

Therefore the local IP address for the admin page will show as 'not secure' within web browsers.

There is no security risk as the 192.168.x.x address can only be accessed by devices already connected to your Hub either by the WiFi network or physically via Ethernet.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As it's only a local connection between your device and the Hub (and not the wider internet) there's no risk. I get the same on my ASUS Router and other local devices with a web interface.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you are missing something. The hub settings page is accessed from your home LAN so is not an Https address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yep, it’s all rather silly. Browsers should know the intranet (local lan) addresses and not issue this type of error message.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos