Menu
janethill
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Letter re malware infection

Hi All I have received a letter stating one of my devices has spam emails from it which could put at risk personal data, online transaction and a device could be infected with malware. 

Can anyone advise if this is a genuine letter from Virgin and not a scam? 

Many thanks, Jan

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Letter re malware infection

@janethill wrote:

I have received a letter stating one of my devices has spam emails from it which could put at risk personal data, online transaction and a device could be infected with malware. 

Can anyone advise if this is a genuine letter from Virgin and not a scam?

Virgin Media do send out letters that warn you if there is evidence that a device on you network has been infected with malware. Signs that spam email is coming from a device on your network is often evidence of malware. On the other hand, clicking on links in spam emails is one way to allow malware to be installed on a device.

Bear in mind that the infected "device" may not be your pc or laptop, it could be something like an Amazon firestick.

It would be worthwhile following the advice here:   https://www.virginmedia.com/help/malware-alert however the genuine letters also include advice.

That link suggests that if you need further assistance, you can call on a third party organisation called 'Gadget Rescue' however, note that  you will have to pay for that service. Rather than going to them I would recommend that you use a local IT support company or individual if you feel that you need additional 'hands on' support.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos