Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Letter about spam email

Ive had a letter saying my email address is sending spam, Ive taken all the steps to correct this, changed password security question, got F Safe etc, can I be assured that this wont happen again please ? why does it happen at all, Im always scanning my devise and actually dont really use that email 

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Letter about spam email

Hi Issy0503, 

Thanks for posting in our community forum and happy to hear that you've promptly followed the advice in the letter. 

It sounds like you may be a victim of "email spoofing. Have you recently used it to register onto a web site or filled out a web form? Unfortunately it's not something we can control and please see the following link about email spoofing - 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-what-is-email-spoofing

Warm Regards,

Lisa_CC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK Virgin Media send these letters when there exists correlating evidence in their (SMTP) server logs ― email spoofing would not result in such a letter because there would be no corresponding log entries.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I havent entered it into any forms or anything as I dont use it now,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ive read the spoof email article, It could be that, I have deleted all my contacts and addresses in that email account. as I say I dont use it anymore, but why do Virgin say they may suspend my broadband if it does it again? or carries on doing it, Its not my fault.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Please only mark a post as helpful if it solves the issue; forum users see the thread as solved.

As already mentioned spoofing would not result in such a letter.

The forum team are best placed to answer why your service might be suspended if you had taken all the actions they suggested.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

oh ok, thank you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@issy0503 

You asked a sensible question and got a singularly unhelpful reply back from the VM Team Member who answered. You've had clues to what the correct position is but a complete answer has eluded you up till now. Time for that to change.

What you have experienced is NOTHING to do with spoofing and I do wish you hadn't been lead down that road and concluded that your e-mail address had been spoofed. It hasn't been spoofed. It has been HACKED. Very serious and probably not your fault. If it had been spoofed VM would not have written to you. They only write when an address has been hacked.

Start here by reading this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-compromised-mailbox-alert

That is why you have received the letter. 

If you tell us what the letters of the reference on the letter are we can narrow down the circumstances in which this has happened. Did the reference start with OFFNET or ONNET? If it is the first then the spammers are sending their rubbish via VM's mail servers using your credentials (e-mail address and password and it has to be both) but from an internet address (IP) outside of VM's network. ONNET means spam being sent starting within VM's network. 

In neither case would you ever know that your address had been hacked unless VM tell you because they can also see the traffic passing , apparently but not actually sent by you.

The solution to this to be found in section 3 of the helpfile above, but read below as well for more advice on how to secure your computer.

Your broadband will not be disconnected. The worse that VM do is block that e-mail account unless you free it up by changing the password. How your password leaked is anyone's guess. It could simply have been guessed. 

There is no guarantee that this will not happen again unless you take steps to secure that e-mail address as described in the helpfile and the one it is linked to.

You should check that your computer is secure by downloading the trial version of malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com (and no where else) and scanning for malware like key-loggers and password disclosers.

That's probably scared you to death but you might as well have the unalloyed truth rather than be left in the dark. It is only a pity you weren't told sooner what to do.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I need to add something further to my reply having thought about this overnight.

Was the letter you had about a breach of copyright from one of your devices that you use to connect to the internet? Because if it was those are the circumstances in which VM will disconnect your broadband account and refuse to have you as customer if you don't sort out the problem.

You need to tell us and tell us quickly so we can advise you further.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Howard thank you for your help, the reference on the letter was just VMISF1 FOO7019233 It says email used to send spam emails, nothing about copy right

0 Kudos