Menu
Lucy14
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is this real (phone call)

Virgin media have been drilling outside my flat to set up broadband. I asked them to contact me when it was done so I could finally get WiFi. Today a man texted and rang but the texts were badly spelt wrong and he had a very strong foreign accent. He wanted me to give my bank details over the phone as fast as possible. If I don’t do it today, I will lose a big special discount. My sister  was listening and came up and grabbed the phone saying it’s a foreign scammer, but then I got an email that looks legit and takes me to the virgin site which has a padlock on it? I can’t ring up as no minutes and I can’t get a message to virgin to ask if it’s legit as I’m not a customer yet. Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this real (phone call)

@Lucy14 wrote:

Virgin media have been drilling outside my flat to set up broadband. I asked them to contact me when it was done so I could finally get WiFi. Today a man texted and rang but the texts were badly spelt wrong and he had a very strong foreign accent. He wanted me to give my bank details over the phone as fast as possible. If I don’t do it today, I will lose a big special discount. My sister  was listening and came up and grabbed the phone saying it’s a foreign scammer, but then I got an email that looks legit and takes me to the virgin site which has a padlock on it? I can’t ring up as no minutes and I can’t get a message to virgin to ask if it’s legit as I’m not a customer yet. Thanks for reading.

Did you already setup a direct debit with VM?

If you have there is no reason when they would ask for the details over the phone.

If they phone again ask them to confirm your account number!

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

the padlock means nothing unless you understand it.

Post the link that was in the email and we can tell you if its real or a scam
0 Kudos
Lucy14
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you it al, turned out to be real. I just thought It was a scam due to the spelling mistakes and being so pressured to sign up super fast! So glad it was real. 

0 Kudos