Menu
EG1
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is this phishing or genuine but poor from Virginmedia?

I have a feeling the email I received along the lines below may well be genuine. It attached a pdf and had some links. I haven’t opened the file or clicked the links. I did send it to phishing@virginmedia but no reply.

IF this is genuine, why do virgin send this way? Surely it just encourages opening files you aren’t expecting or clicking links in emails?  Most sensible and cyber security aware businesses would email, explain there is a message and ask you to log in to your account on their site without providing files or links.

Potentially genuine or just poor approach from Virgin?

Hello Xxx

As a Freestyle customer we occasionally have to send you important documents about the credit agreement you have with us for your device/s.

Your Annual Statement is now ready to view.

Just open the attached PDF.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this phishing or genuine but poor from Virginmedia?

Virgin Media don't usually send out mails with attachments without your prior agreement e.g. copy bills via Customer Services.

I can't see why it would be done for a Freestyle agreement.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
EG1
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I’d agree, but while there is enough to be suspicious, I have a hunch that it maybe could be real. But don’t plan on opening or clicking further to see.

0 Kudos
EG1
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The more I look at this email, the more I think it's  a very daft and poor example from Virginmedia. 

Does anyone officially reply on here and can take a look at this example. If it's phishing then it's a good example to flag. If it's genuine then VM need a rethink.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@EG1 wrote:

The more I look at this email, the more I think it's  a very daft and poor example from Virginmedia. 

Possibly, but I would be very suspicious.  I don't have a Freestyle contract but in my experience VM usual send a link to view their agreements on line rather than sending it as a PDF attachment. 

Does anyone officially reply on here 

Yes, but unfortunately that could take quite a while, perhaps up to a week, with the current level of demand across the Forum

If it's genuine then VM need a rethink.

I agree, in my view VM do not handle their email or telephone contact with their customers very well.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

EG1
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Int-Sec Any view on phishing or poor email?

0 Kudos
EG1
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm now pretty sure this is the definitely daft way Virgin Media choose to send documents out of the blue, in a manner that looks like phishing and encourages you to open files they have sent.

It's madness. 

I'd submit a complaint to draw attention to it and i might get away with adding it to a long running complaint I have lodged with them anyway. execpt they are ignoring that too other than sending me letters every few weeks to apologise for not resolving it. 

What a shambolic organisation. 

0 Kudos